What caused the discrepancy in the bullet's travel distance at the firing range?

In summary, the mythbusters were investigating projectile motion at a firing range and found that the bullet dropped about 1 inch as it traveled 100 feet. However, when they calculated the drop distance for 200 and 300 feet, they found that the bullet was actually slowing down as it traveled downrange.
muppet
In this clip the mythbusters are investigating projectile motion at a firing range:

Using the fact that the bullet fell approximately 1 inch as it traveled 100 feet, I predicted it should travel 600 feet down the firing range before hitting the ground from a height of 36 inches. Instead, it actually traveled about 360 feet.

Am I right in assuming that this discrepancy is due to air resistance, and that the simplifying assumption of neglecting it is just way off in this case? I'm trusting their rough numbers here, but even if I double the height through which the bullet fell in the 1st 100 feet I still predict it should travel 450 ft before hitting the ground.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
muppet said:
Am I right in assuming that this discrepancy is due to air resistance, and that the simplifying assumption of neglecting it is just way off in this case?
Yes, assuming you simply used the basic kinematic equations, you're right. Air resistance is not negligible in almost all applications involving fast motion through atmosphere. The reason it's routinelly left our from introductory physics problem analysis is that requires solving a (simple one, but still) differential equation.

Likes muppet
OK, thanks. Just checking- I've never actually studied a real-life example of projectile motion, rather than one with made-up numbers before!

They only tell you the drop distance for the 100 foot distance. If they had stated the actual drop distances for 200 and 300 feet, you would be able to see how the bullet is slowing down as it travels downrange.

Here's a screenshot of the board. I've marked the laser sight position that's centered on the white card. I pasted 9 copies of one column to verify that the sight is 36 inches from the bottom. The last pasted column is about two markings above the ground. Combined with the two markings that the laser sight was from the bottom of the card, there are 40 units of measure from the laser sight to the ground. Assuming that they are one inch markings, then they sighted in at 40 inches and the bullets at 100 feet were closer to having a 2 inch drop. Even if you accept the 36 inch sighting statement, the first drop is still closer to 2 inches.

Long story short: The first drop was closer to two inches. :)

bullets.jpg

What is air resistance on a bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of a bullet as it travels through the air. It is caused by the air particles colliding with the surface of the bullet, creating a frictional force that slows down the bullet's speed.

How does air resistance affect a bullet's trajectory?

Air resistance can cause a bullet to deviate from its intended trajectory, causing it to fall short or drop more quickly than expected. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the bullet's motion, slowing it down and altering its path.

What factors affect air resistance on a bullet?

The main factors that affect air resistance on a bullet are the bullet's shape, size, velocity, and the density of the air it is traveling through. Bullets with a streamlined shape, higher velocity, and larger size will experience more air resistance than smaller, slower, and less aerodynamic bullets. Air resistance also increases with altitude, as air density decreases at higher elevations.

How does air resistance impact a bullet's accuracy?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on a bullet's accuracy, as it can cause the bullet to deviate from its intended path. The amount of air resistance a bullet experiences can vary depending on environmental conditions and the bullet's design, making it difficult to predict and compensate for. This is why shooters must account for air resistance when aiming and adjusting for wind conditions.

Is there a way to reduce the effects of air resistance on a bullet?

While air resistance cannot be completely eliminated, there are ways to minimize its effects on a bullet's trajectory. Using a bullet with a streamlined shape and high velocity can reduce the amount of air resistance it experiences. Additionally, using a heavier bullet can also help as it will maintain its momentum better and be less affected by air resistance. Finally, taking wind and other environmental factors into account when aiming and adjusting for trajectory can also help compensate for the impact of air resistance on a bullet.