What causes the maximum viscosity in ethanol concentrations of 50%?

In summary, the conversation discusses a previous experiment to calculate viscosities of various ethanol concentrations, the observation of a parabolic graph and the highest viscosity being at 50% concentration. The conversation also delves into the reasons behind this phenomenon, such as surface tension and intermolecular attractions, and the impact of adding water to ethanol on solution volume. However, there is no concrete answer and the professor states that there is no real answer to this question. The conversation also touches on the concept of deviation from ideality and the role of interaction between liquid molecules in this phenomenon.
SqrachMasda
I did an experiment to calculate viscosities of various ethanol concentrations, 0% to 100%
the graph is parabolic, and therefor the highest viscosity is 50% concentration

i don't understand why, since seperately water and ethanol are closer to 1 centipoise well ethanol more and water less, but still, why would the combination of the 2 slow it's rate down.

i found things of surface tension but it didnt help much

also the densities increase from .789 to 1
no variation really

I just can't find the logic of why mixing these 2 would increase the viscosity so much relative to what they are seperately.

basically as the concentrations went up
the viscosity rose until it hit 50% then decreases again
why rise at all?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
what happens to the partial molar volume of water when it's dissolved in ethanol (pre-saturation)? That is if you were to add, for instance 5mL of water to 50mL of ethanol, would you observe a volume of 55mL?

:confused: well that makes me 10 times more confused
it's already done, but i never came to a concrete answer

i said it was so to intermolecular attractions, i figured if they were larger species they would move slower and 50% is when more of this would occur,...i assumed all this so if it's completely wrong, it's no surprise

also the densities increase from .789 to 1
no variation really
If you add water to ethanol for instance, you get a different volume than that expected simply by the addition of volumes. You may, for instance, add 5mL of water to 50mL of ethanol and expect 55mL of solution, but volume is actually smaller. Why is that? If water and ethanol did not interact, if it the solution were ideal, you would expect no changes in expected volume. But interaction does occur, is water repulsed by ethanol? Does it show a positive or negative deviation from ideality?

Last edited:
this is pretty old, but i asked my professor a while later and he said there was no real answer and in fact if i could get a very clear response i'd get an A for the semester.
turns out we were never really expected to get it right (i hate that stuff)
... so I guess an answer to this should not come very quickly because he's a pretty smart guy

"no real answer" to what?

this maximum phenomena are often observed in binary solutions when making a plot of log_viscosity vs. mole fraction. the scale of deviation from the linear correlation, which connects the two liquids (x=0, and 1), might reflect the degree of interaction of liquid molecules. stronger interaction will slow down the molecular motions, and lead to the bigger deviation at around 50mol%.

Related to What causes the maximum viscosity in ethanol concentrations of 50%?

1. What is ethanol viscosity 50%?

Ethanol viscosity 50% refers to the thickness or resistance to flow of a solution that is made up of 50% ethanol and 50% water. It is a measure of the solution's internal friction and is affected by factors such as temperature and concentration.

2. Why is 50% the maximum concentration for ethanol viscosity?

50% is considered the maximum concentration for ethanol viscosity because at this concentration, the ethanol molecules are able to efficiently disrupt the hydrogen bonds between the water molecules, resulting in a lower viscosity. Higher concentrations of ethanol would lead to stronger hydrogen bonds and a higher viscosity.

3. How does temperature affect ethanol viscosity 50%?

Temperature has a significant impact on ethanol viscosity 50%. As temperature increases, the ethanol molecules have more kinetic energy and are able to move more freely, resulting in a lower viscosity. On the other hand, lower temperatures lead to a higher viscosity as the molecules have less energy and are more tightly packed together.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding ethanol viscosity 50%?

Understanding ethanol viscosity 50% is important in various industries such as the food and beverage industry, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics. It can help in the production of products with desired thickness or consistency, as well as in optimizing processes and equipment design.

5. How is ethanol viscosity 50% measured?

Ethanol viscosity 50% can be measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the resistance of a fluid to flow. The most commonly used method is the capillary viscometry, where the time taken for a fixed volume of the solution to flow through a capillary tube is measured and used to calculate the viscosity.