What causes the repulsive force in diatomic molecules?

In summary, the conversation discusses a model for a diatomic molecule with two finite wells representing the potential. It is explained that the energy of the ground state is minimized when the atoms are a certain distance apart, and increases as they are moved closer together or further apart. The repulsive force experienced when forcing the atoms together is initially thought to be due to the positive nuclei, but quantum mechanics explains that it is actually due to the behavior of the wave function and the need for the electrons to screen the nuclear charges at small distances. This is reflected in the Hamiltonian which includes a potential energy term dependent on the internuclear distance.
Runei
Hello,

I'm working here with a model for a diatomic molecule. The potential is modeled as two finite wells. For a given distance between the wells, the energy of the ground state will be minimized. If you move the "atoms" closer to each other, the energy rises, and if you move them away from each other, the energy rise. All well and good.

However, I always thought (before quantum mechanics course) that the reason for the repulsive force experienced when you tried to force the atoms together was due to the positive nucleus of the atoms. But quantum mechanics have now shown me (or at least that's what I believe I am being told by the theory) that the repulsiveness is simply due to the quantum mechanical behaviour and how the wave function will have to rise in energy.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, the model of a bond you consider is a very crude one.
You are also right in that the repulsion at small distances is mainly due to the repulsion of the nuclei.
However, this is not at variance with what you have learned from your model.
Why? Because it is a question of at what distances the electrons can screen the nuclear charges.
To screen the nuclear charges at small distances of the nuclei, the electrons would have to get localized in a very small region between the nuclei, i.e. in a deep but small potential through. However, as you learned from your model, this would cost a lot of energy whence the energy of a molecule goes invariably up at small distances of the nuclei.

Runei said:
the repulsiveness is simply due to the quantum mechanical behaviour and how the wave function will have to rise in energy.
But remember where that quantum mechanical behaviour comes from: in the Hamiltonian, there is a potential energy term
$$
\frac{Z_1 Z_2 e^2}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 R}
$$
where ##R## is the internuclear distance.

1. What is the "Model for diatomic molecule"?

The "Model for diatomic molecule" is a simplified representation of a diatomic molecule, which is a molecule composed of two atoms. This model is used to understand the physical and chemical properties of diatomic molecules.

2. How does the "Model for diatomic molecule" work?

The model assumes that the two atoms in a diatomic molecule are held together by a covalent bond, where they share electrons to form a stable structure. The bond strength is determined by the distance between the two atoms and the strength of the bond between them.

3. What factors affect the stability of a diatomic molecule in the "Model for diatomic molecule"?

The stability of a diatomic molecule in this model is affected by the distance between the two atoms, the strength of the covalent bond, and the repulsion between the two atoms' electron clouds. The energy of the molecule is also influenced by the orientation of the atoms in space.

4. How does the "Model for diatomic molecule" explain the behavior of diatomic molecules?

The model helps to explain the behavior of diatomic molecules by predicting their bond strength, bond length, and molecular energy. It also explains how different molecules will react with each other based on their stability and energy levels.

5. What are the limitations of the "Model for diatomic molecule"?

While the model is useful for understanding the basic properties of diatomic molecules, it is a simplified representation and does not take into account the complexities of real molecules. It also does not consider the effects of temperature, pressure, or external forces on the behavior of diatomic molecules.