What causes the strings to vibrate?

• Thread starter THe Bank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, string theory explains that everything is made of tiny vibrating strings or bands. These strings vibrate due to a force known as zero-point energy, which is similar to the uncertainty principle. However, the cause of this vibration is still unknown, just like the reason for the big bang. It is also possible for polar vibrations to cancel each other out, but it is unclear what would happen to the sub-atomic particles made up of these strings if that were to occur.
THe Bank
From what I gather string theory states that everything is made of tiny vibrating strings or bands. But what force or energy causes these strings to constantly vibrate?

Physics news on Phys.org
They vibrate because they obey the Heisenberg's uncertainy principle, i.e., due to what is sometimes called zero-point energy, I think.

It's the same as asking "what made the big bang explode"? the simple answer is we don't know and might never know.

Polar Vibrations

I know that in other fields waves with opposite frequncies cancel or wash each other out. If two strings with polar vibrations came into contact with each other, would they cancel each other out? If so, what would happen to the-sub atomic particles made up of these canceled out strings?

bel said:
They vibrate because they obey the Heisenberg's uncertainy principle, i.e., due to what is sometimes called zero-point energy, I think.
It has nothing to do with Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Classical strings may vibrate too. Just like in the big-bang question, the question reduces to: Why God/Nature has chosen nontrivial initial conditions. I think the question is rather trivial.

1. What are the factors that cause strings to vibrate?

The main factors that cause strings to vibrate are tension, mass, and length. The tension of the string determines how much force is required to make it vibrate, while the mass and length affect the frequency and pitch of the sound produced.

2. How does the material of the string affect its vibration?

The material of the string can greatly affect its vibration. Different materials have different densities and elasticity, which can impact the tension and mass of the string, ultimately affecting how it vibrates and produces sound.

3. Why do strings vibrate at different frequencies?

Strings vibrate at different frequencies because of their length, tension, and mass. These factors determine the wavelength of the vibration, which in turn determines the frequency and pitch of the sound produced.

4. Can temperature affect the vibration of strings?

Yes, temperature can affect the vibration of strings. As temperature increases, so does the string's tension and elasticity, causing it to vibrate at a higher frequency and produce a higher pitch. Conversely, colder temperatures can decrease tension and make the string vibrate at a lower frequency with a lower pitch.

5. Are there any external factors that can cause strings to vibrate?

Yes, there are external factors that can cause strings to vibrate, such as air currents, nearby vibrations, and even sound waves. These external forces can create disturbances in the string, causing it to vibrate and produce sound without being directly touched or plucked.