What coild and capacitor to use in LC-circuit

• Thread starter BRSUN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the speaker is building an LC-circuit for an extended essay on electromagnetic waves. They are looking for a power of capacitor and number of loops in the coil that would create a detectable change in flux within a 2-meter range. They are also interested in using the circuit as an emitter of electromagnetic waves and will be measuring the waves with an oscilloscope.
BRSUN
I am building an LC-circuit. I was wondering what power of capacitor and loops of coil would be best to use to create a change in flux, which was not to big but could be detected in a range of 2 meters from source. A range of coils would also be nice as I will have it as a variable in my experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to use your circuit as an emitter of electromagnetic waves, or do you want to detect the magnetic field?
"could be detected" is a very vague term - with good equipment, you can detect nearly everything.

More context would be interesting. Is there some application you have in mind?

I am building it to emit electromagnetic waves. It's for an extended essay I am writing.

I am going to measure the waves using an oscilloscope

Thank you for your question. The power of the capacitor and the number of loops in the coil will depend on several factors, including the frequency of the circuit, the desired change in flux, and the distance at which the change in flux needs to be detected. In general, a higher capacitance and more loops in the coil will result in a larger change in flux, but this may not always be necessary or desirable.

To determine the best combination of capacitor and coil for your specific experiment, I would recommend using the formula for resonance in an LC circuit (1/√(LC) = ω), where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit. This will help you determine the ideal capacitance and inductance for your desired frequency.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a variable capacitor and a variable coil in your circuit to allow for adjustments and fine-tuning of the circuit. This will give you more control over the change in flux and the sensitivity of your experiment.

I also recommend consulting with a colleague or mentor who has experience with LC circuits and can provide guidance and assistance in selecting the appropriate components for your experiment. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an LC-circuit?

An LC-circuit is a type of electronic circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in parallel. It is used for various applications such as signal filtering, oscillators, and resonance circuits.

2. How do I choose the right coil and capacitor for my LC-circuit?

The choice of coil and capacitor for an LC-circuit depends on several factors such as the frequency of the input signal, the desired resonant frequency, and the impedance of the circuit. It is recommended to use a coil and capacitor with a high quality factor (Q) for better performance.

3. What is the resonant frequency of an LC-circuit?

The resonant frequency of an LC-circuit is the frequency at which the inductive reactance of the coil and the capacitive reactance of the capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive impedance. It is calculated using the formula: fr = 1/(2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. Can I use any coil and capacitor in an LC-circuit?

No, it is important to choose a coil and capacitor with suitable values for the specific application of the LC-circuit. Using unsuitable components can result in a poorly performing circuit or even damage to the components.

5. How do I calculate the inductance and capacitance for an LC-circuit?

The inductance and capacitance needed for an LC-circuit can be calculated using various formulas based on the desired resonant frequency and other parameters. It is recommended to use online calculators or consult with a professional if you are unsure about the calculations.