What computer languages make up this site?

• Thread starter Fancypen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the languages and optimization used to create a smooth and quick-loading website. The site uses common languages such as PHP, Javascript, HTML, and CSS, and also has a good server with caching and a CDN. The speaker, who has spent a lot of time improving the site's performance, expressed appreciation for the clean and functional design.
Fancypen
I am a CS major (I just started) and I noticed that the site is very smooth and quick to load. What languages make up this site?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Good to hear!

Very common languages and markup like PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS.

We have a good server, that is optimized and uses a lot of caching. We also use a CDN.

I've spent a lot of time working on ways to improve performance. It's no accident.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995, S.G. Janssens, dlgoff and 3 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've spent a lot of time working on ways to improve performance. It's no accident.

Indeed. I can always hear the faint sound of jackhammers, wrenches, and broken keyboards in the background when I'm on PF.

I can honestly say that Greg spends an inordinate amount of time trying to find ways to improve PF, both in the background and foreground. Thanks, Greg!

Likes cnh1995, davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Good to hear!

Very common languages and markup like PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS.

We have a good server, that is optimized and uses a lot of caching. We also use a CDN.

Interesting! It's a very enjoyable experience exploring a clean looking/working website.
Thank you

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Fancypen said:
Interesting! It's a very enjoyable experience exploring a clean looking/working website.
Thank you
And it's probably better than you realize. Another forum where I spend a small amount of time uses exactly the same base software as PF uses but the work spent on configuring things is way less and it shows.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What computer languages make up this site?

The computer languages that make up this site are HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

What is HTML?

HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is the standard markup language used to create web pages. It is used to structure the content of a webpage and includes elements for text, images, links, and other multimedia.

What is CSS?

CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is a style sheet language used to control the presentation of a webpage. It is used to define the layout, colors, fonts, and other visual aspects of a webpage.

What is JavaScript?

JavaScript is a scripting language that is used to create interactive and dynamic elements on a webpage. It is often used to add functionality, validate forms, and create animations on a webpage.

Why are these languages used for this site?

These languages are used for this site because they are the standard languages used for creating and designing webpages. HTML provides the structure, CSS provides the style, and JavaScript adds interactivity to the site.