Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What computer languages make up this site?

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    I am a CS major (I just started) and I noticed that the site is very smooth and quick to load. What languages make up this site?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2
    Good to hear!

Very common languages and markup like PHP, Javascript, HTML, CSS.

We have a good server, that is optimized and uses a lot of caching. We also use a CDN.

I've spent a lot of time working on ways to improve performance. It's no accident.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. Feb 5, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Indeed. I can always hear the faint sound of jackhammers, wrenches, and broken keyboards in the background when I'm on PF.

I can honestly say that Greg spends an inordinate amount of time trying to find ways to improve PF, both in the background and foreground. Thanks, Greg!

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4
    Interesting! It's a very enjoyable experience exploring a clean looking/working website.
    Thank you

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And it's probably better than you realize. Another forum where I spend a small amount of time uses exactly the same base software as PF uses but the work spent on configuring things is way less and it shows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook