What constitutes an observer?

• Thread starter magus niche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary: Einstein believed that for reality to exist, an observer must be present. In special relativity, an "observer" is simply something that can establish an inertial frame of reference. He did not believe that an intelligent observer was necessary for reality to exist, but rather any object with mass could fulfill this role. Additionally, Einstein was critical of quantum mechanics and did not believe that it accurately described reality.
magus niche
Is it true that Einstein believed that for reality to exist, an observer must be present?

If so, what is the current theory on the existence of an observer, early on in the development of space-time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not heard of this Einstein quote before. In special relativity, an "observer" is simply something that can establish an inertial frame of reference. Any and all objects that have mass satisfy this requirement; there is no need for the observer to have intelligence or actively perform measurements.

Magus- This seems to me to be a question of quantom mechanics which states that no object has any measurable quantity until it is being measured.

Also, the quote you are referring to seems to be one that he made (At least partially sarcasticly) to refute quantom mechanics.. he considered Quantom mechanics to be bunk.

Last edited:
magus niche said:
Is it true that Einstein believed that for reality to exist, an observer must be present?
I never saw Einstein say that. But I doubt he did. I recall him saying something like "Is there moon there when nobody is looking?" though.
If so, what is the current theory on the existence of an observer, early on in the development of space-time?
In special relativity the term "observer" is taken to mean a system of clocks and rods, i.e. a frame of reference.

Pete

1. What is an observer in scientific terms?

An observer in scientific terms refers to a person or entity that observes and records information about a phenomenon or experiment. This can include gathering data, analyzing results, and making conclusions based on the observations.

2. What qualifies someone as an observer?

Anyone who is able to perceive and record information about a phenomenon or experiment can be considered an observer. This can include scientists, researchers, and even participants in the experiment.

3. Are there different types of observers?

Yes, there are different types of observers depending on the context of the observation. For example, in quantum mechanics, an observer can refer to a conscious entity that collapses the wave function, while in psychology, an observer can be a researcher recording behavior in a study.

4. How does an observer impact the outcome of an experiment?

An observer can play a crucial role in the outcome of an experiment as they are responsible for collecting and interpreting data. Their biases, expectations, and methods of observation can all influence the results and conclusions drawn from the experiment.

5. Can an observer be objective?

It is often difficult for an observer to be completely objective as they bring their own biases and perspectives to the observation. However, steps can be taken to minimize these influences, such as using standardized procedures and multiple observers to ensure consistency in the data collected.