What Could a Steeper Best Fit Line Than Maximum Line Mean in Graph Analysis?

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment on the Doppler Effect and encountered a problem with their best fit, maximum, and minimum lines. They suspect that their error bars may be too small, leading to measurement errors. The possibility that the system being measured does not have a straight line behavior is also mentioned. The speaker is asked to provide their data in a machine-readable form in order for suggestions to be made.
CrzCz
Hi guys so I have done a Physics EE but after plotting the graph, I encountered a very huge problem with my best fit, maximum, and minimum line... My best fit line is steeper than my maximum line! (Minimum line: Orange Maximum line: Grey Best fit line: Blue)

So the thing is, what does this mean? I don't even know what to say about my analysis or anything anymore.. Please help..

Attachments

• graph error.png
    graph error.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the looks of it, your error bars ## \Delta x ## might be too small. There can be measurement errors that aren't completely obvious. e.g. if a meter measures something with 3 decimal places doesn't mean you have 3 decimal place accuracy. ## \\ ## There is also the possibility that the system that was being measured does not have a straight line behavior, but assuming that it does, the error bars appear to be too small. If the error bars are indeed accurate, it would indicate the system does not obey that of a straight line in y vs. x.

Last edited:
Why don't you show the data that you started with and then we can maybe suggest something.

magoo said:
Why don't you show the data that you started with and then we can maybe suggest something.

So the experiment that I did was for Doppler Effect... For the graph, the blue line is the data I got from the experiment and the orange line is the data that I got from calculations...

Attachments

• data.png
    data.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 422
  • measured vs theory.png
    measured vs theory.png
    6 KB · Views: 459
The theoretical values are not relevant to your question, right? You are just asking about the three regression lines you got from the measurements.
Please post your measurements in a machine-readable form. I know PF doesn't allow .xls, for some strange reason, but you could use .csv as a text file.
Please also explain how you obtained the three regression lines.

Related to What Could a Steeper Best Fit Line Than Maximum Line Mean in Graph Analysis?

1. What is a best fit line in graph analysis?

A best fit line in graph analysis is a line that represents the general trend or relationship between two variables in a set of data. It is created using mathematical techniques such as linear regression to determine the line that minimizes the overall distance between the line and the data points.

2. How is a best fit line determined?

A best fit line is determined using mathematical techniques such as linear regression. This involves finding the line that minimizes the overall distance between the line and the data points. There are various methods for determining the best fit line, such as the least squares method and the method of moments.

3. What does a steeper best fit line indicate in graph analysis?

A steeper best fit line in graph analysis indicates a stronger relationship between the two variables being analyzed. This means that there is a higher degree of correlation between the two variables, with one variable having a greater impact on the other.

4. What could a steeper best fit line than maximum line mean in graph analysis?

A steeper best fit line than maximum line in graph analysis could mean that there is a stronger relationship between the two variables or that there is a different type of relationship, such as a quadratic relationship. It could also indicate that there may be outliers or errors in the data that are affecting the analysis.

5. How can a steeper best fit line be interpreted in graph analysis?

A steeper best fit line in graph analysis can be interpreted as a stronger correlation between the two variables being analyzed. This means that there is a higher degree of influence from one variable on the other. It is important to note that correlation does not necessarily imply causation and further analysis is needed to determine the exact relationship between the variables.