Which Graduate Course Should I Take Next Fall?

In summary, the individual is considering taking GR, E and M 1, and Abstract Algebra 1 for the fall. They are unsure about the fourth course and are considering graduate quantum or graduate E and M instead of the undergraduate versions. They have taken undergrad quantum and are considering taking Cosmology, but are concerned about not having taken GR. The opinion given is that the decision depends on the undergraduate courses at the individual's school and taking graduate EM before undergrad EM is not recommended. However, taking cosmology before GR is acceptable. It is suggested to provide course descriptions and books used to make a decision.
Bishop556
So, for next fall I was thinking of taking:

1) GR
2) E and M 1
3) Abstract Algebra 1
4) not sure

I was thinking of taking either graduate quantum or taking graduate E and M instead of the undergrad version and instead take a second math course. Now, I have taken undergrad quantum, but I was thinking that graduate quantum would help me understand quantum to greater detail. I was also thinking of taking Cosmology, but I think that is a bad idea as I have not taken GR.

What is your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers to your questions depend very heavily on what the undergraduate EM and QM courses at your school are like. At my school if you take undergrad QM then grad QM is more or less redundant. Taking grad EM before undergrad EM is a rather terrible idea because grad EM is more or less just a math methods class and a light introduction to classical field theory. You are assumed to have learned the physics from undergrad EM at the level of Griffiths; said physics is extremely foundational and important.

On the other hand taking cosmology before GR is perfectly fine. There is very little GR in cosmology; whatever is there you can easily learn in a matter of days.

It might be a good idea to give the course descriptions of the courses you're planning to take. And perhaps the books they'll use.

What course should I take?

1. What are my interests and strengths?

Before deciding on a course, it is important to consider your interests and strengths. This will help you choose a course that you will enjoy and excel in.

2. What are my career goals?

Think about your long-term career goals and what skills and knowledge you need to achieve them. This can guide you in choosing a course that aligns with your career aspirations.

3. What are the course requirements and workload?

Research the course requirements and workload to ensure that it is manageable for you. Consider your current commitments and if you have the time and resources to dedicate to the course.

4. What are the job prospects after completing the course?

It is important to think about the job prospects after completing the course. Look into the job market and see if there is a demand for the skills and knowledge you will gain from the course.

5. What resources and support are available for the course?

Find out what resources and support are available for the course, such as professors, tutors, and study groups. This can greatly impact your learning experience and help you succeed in the course.