What Defines the Power of a Screw?

In summary, the smaller the space is in between the thread, the more clamping power a screw has. The length of the "stick" (or the length of the screwdriver) is also important.
Zoha
I'm in a class that is talking about screws (common everyday type of screws). The question came up with regarding exactly defines the power of a screw?

We're sure that the smaller the space is in between the thread contributes to more clamping power. For the other factor, we're thinking that the length of the screw is also important. Some in the class think that it's the length of the "stick" that is required to go around the screw head (to tighten it) - in other words, the length of the screwdriver. Others speculate that it's the diameter of the screw head.

What is the right answer? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps think about how screws can fail.

For example if you over tighten a screw several things can happen..

1) The screw snaps or fails in shear (twisting) - typically the head breaks off or the shaft fails where it changes from plain to threaded. This is typically due to excess torque. For example if you try driving a screw into a hardwood block a brass screw might fail half way in while a steel screw will be fine. The amount of torque required to drive in the screw depends on (for example) the friction between the threaded part and the material it's going into. A standard trick is to drill a pilot hole and apply some silicon sealer to reduce friction and reduce the torque needed to drive it in. In general a larger diameter screw can withstand higher torque than a smaller one.

or

2) The material that the screw is driven into fails. Instead of the screw going into the material a "tube" of material is pulled out or "stripped". If you have ever assembled a plastic toy you may have discovered that if you overtighten a screw it just starts turning without getting any tighter. For this reason screws with fine/small threads are limited to hard/strong materials (eg metals) whereas coarser threads are used on screws intended for softer materials (eg wood).

We're sure that the smaller the space is in between the thread contributes to more clamping power

I'm not sure what you mean but this but..

A nut which is loose fit on it's bolt would be weaker than a nut which is a good fit on it's bolt.

CWatters said:
1) The screw snaps or fails in shear (twisting) - typically the head breaks off or the shaft fails where it changes from plain to threaded. This is typically due to excess torque. For example if you try driving a screw into a hardwood block a brass screw might fail half way in while a steel screw will be fine. The amount of torque required to drive in the screw depends on (for example) the friction between the threaded part and the material it's going into. A standard trick is to drill a pilot hole and apply some silicon sealer to reduce friction and reduce the torque needed to drive it in. In general a larger diameter screw can withstand higher torque than a smaller one.
On something of a tangent, my dad showed me a trick that is helpful. Load up the threads of a screw by dragging it across a scrap of bar soap before driving the screw. It'll go in more easily.

Mark44 said:
On something of a tangent, my dad showed me a trick that is helpful. Load up the threads of a screw by dragging it across a scrap of bar soap before driving the screw. It'll go in more easily.

Yeah my Dad taught me that too and the one of using a toothpick if a hole is stripped and you still need to put the screw in place. Poke the toothpick in the hole and break it off and then drive in the screw.

jedishrfu said:
Yeah my Dad taught me that too and the one of using a toothpick if a hole is stripped and you still need to put the screw in place. Poke the toothpick in the hole and break it off and then drive in the screw.
Or a piece or two of a stick match broken off. The soap works better when it's a little wet, but it also words when it's dry. The advantage of soap over the silicone sealer that CWatters mentioned is that you might not have any of that sealer on hand, but there is usually some soap around.

No soap on building sites these days. Brickies have stopped using it as a mortar plasticiser :-)

What is a screw and how does it work?

A screw is a simple machine that is used to hold objects together or to lift objects. It consists of a cylindrical rod with a helical thread wrapped around it. When the screw is turned, the helical thread moves through a solid material, creating a force that holds the objects together or lifts them.

What factors affect the power of a screw?

The power of a screw is affected by several factors, including the length and diameter of the screw, the pitch of the threads, and the material it is made of. Additionally, the angle of the threads and the strength of the applied force can also impact the power of a screw.

How is the power of a screw measured?

The power of a screw is typically measured in terms of its mechanical advantage, which is the ratio of the output force (the force applied to the screw) to the input force (the force applied to turn the screw). This can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the screw by the pitch of the threads.

What are the different types of screws and how does their power differ?

There are many different types of screws, including wood screws, machine screws, and self-tapping screws. The power of a screw can differ depending on its design and purpose. For example, self-tapping screws have a sharper thread angle, allowing them to create their own threads in materials such as metal, while wood screws have a coarser thread that is better suited for gripping wood.

How does the power of a screw compare to other simple machines?

The power of a screw can be compared to other simple machines, such as the lever or the pulley, in terms of its mechanical advantage. While each simple machine has its own unique advantages and uses, screws are often used in combination with other simple machines to increase their overall power and efficiency.