What determines distance a baseball will travel when hit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that determine the distance a baseball will travel when hit, specifically looking at the role of bat speed and weight. The initial post asks if bat momentum can be used as an indicator of the furthest hits, while later responses suggest that other factors such as air resistance and gravity must also be considered. The conversation also touches on the impact of the bat on the ball and how it affects its trajectory. It is concluded that the simple physics explanation involves the ball's initial velocity, forces acting on it, and its mass, while a more advanced explanation would consider the forces from the bat during impact.
idek
As you can see, this is my first post on the forum. I'll admit right now I'm here as an "asker" and not as an "answerer"...

I realize my topic was vague, and I realize there are many factors including trajectory, pitch speed, bat material, wind, altitude, ball rotation, the bat's "sweet spot", etc. But if all those factors were identical (or as identical as they possibly could be), and only bat speed and weight varied, could I just use bat momentum as an indicator of which hits will go the furthest?

Edit: Whoops! I meant to post this in the physics thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi idek, welcome to the wrong subforum.

But if all those factors were identical (or as identical as they possibly could be), and only bat speed and weight varied, could I just use bat momentum as an indicator of which hits will go the furthest?
I think the bat should be much heavier than the ball. In this case, only its speed is relevant, not its momentum.

Moderator's note: thread moved to General Physics from General Astronomy.
what determines distance a baseball will travel when hit?
The simple intro physics explanation is: the baseball's initial velocity, the forces acting on it, and it's mass. Forces would include air resistance, the bat hitting it, and gravity.
I guess a more advanced explanation would mainly involve the forces from the bat during impact.

Redbelly98 said:
Moderator's note: thread moved to General Physics from General Astronomy.

The simple intro physics explanation is: the baseball's initial velocity, the forces acting on it, and it's mass. Forces would include air resistance, the bat hitting it, and gravity.
I guess a more advanced explanation would mainly involve the forces from the bat during impact.

I concur to this, in order to have a accurate result you must account all factors just not momentum. But since you stated that they are all identical F=ma (like Redbelly stated) is basically your bread and butter.

I can say that while bat momentum can certainly play a role in how far a baseball will travel when hit, it is not the only determining factor. The trajectory and velocity of the pitch, along with the angle and speed at which the bat makes contact with the ball, also play a significant role in determining the distance the ball will travel.

Additionally, the materials and construction of the bat can affect the distance the ball will travel. A heavier bat may have more momentum, but a lighter bat may allow for a faster swing speed, resulting in a longer hit.

Other factors like wind, altitude, and the ball's rotation can also impact the distance the ball will travel. These variables can change the air resistance and lift on the ball, altering its trajectory and ultimately affecting its distance.

In summary, while bat momentum can be a useful indicator, there are many other factors that contribute to the distance a baseball will travel when hit. It is important to consider all of these variables when studying the physics of a baseball hit.

1. What factors affect the distance a baseball will travel when hit?

There are several factors that can affect the distance a baseball will travel when hit. These include the velocity of the pitch, the angle and speed of the bat, the air resistance, and the density and temperature of the air.

2. How does the velocity of the pitch affect the distance a baseball will travel?

The velocity of the pitch has a significant impact on the distance a baseball will travel when hit. The faster the pitch, the greater the potential for the ball to travel a longer distance. This is because a faster pitch will impart more energy onto the ball, resulting in a higher exit velocity.

3. Does the angle of the bat affect the distance a baseball will travel?

The angle of the bat can greatly influence the distance a baseball will travel when hit. A bat that makes contact with the ball at a more vertical angle will result in a higher launch angle, which can lead to a longer distance. However, if the bat makes contact at a more horizontal angle, the ball may have a lower launch angle and travel a shorter distance.

4. How does air resistance impact the distance a baseball will travel?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in determining the distance a baseball will travel when hit. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences resistance from the air, which can slow it down and decrease its distance. This is why baseballs are designed to be aerodynamic, with stitches that help reduce drag and allow the ball to travel farther.

5. Can the density and temperature of the air affect the distance a baseball will travel?

Yes, the density and temperature of the air can have an impact on the distance a baseball will travel when hit. In denser air, there is more resistance for the ball to overcome, resulting in a shorter distance. Similarly, in warmer air, the molecules are more spread out, creating less resistance and allowing the ball to travel farther. This is why baseballs tend to travel further in warmer, humid conditions compared to colder, drier conditions.