1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What determines distance a baseball will travel when hit?

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    As you can see, this is my first post on the forum. I'll admit right now I'm here as an "asker" and not as an "answerer"...

I realize my topic was vague, and I realize there are many factors including trajectory, pitch speed, bat material, wind, altitude, ball rotation, the bat's "sweet spot", etc. But if all those factors were identical (or as identical as they possibly could be), and only bat speed and weight varied, could I just use bat momentum as an indicator of which hits will go the furthest?

Edit: Whoops! I meant to post this in the physics thread.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

Ich

Science Advisor

Hi idek, welcome to the wrong subforum.

I think the bat should be much heavier than the ball. In this case, only its speed is relevant, not its momentum.

4. May 2, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Moderator's note: thread moved to General Physics from General Astronomy.
    The simple intro physics explanation is: the baseball's initial velocity, the forces acting on it, and it's mass. Forces would include air resistance, the bat hitting it, and gravity.
    I guess a more advanced explanation would mainly involve the forces from the bat during impact.

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    I concur to this, in order to have a accurate result you must account all factors just not momentum. But since you stated that they are all identical F=ma (like Redbelly stated) is basically your bread and butter.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook