The Ongoing Debate: Evolution vs. Religion

In summary: Same goes for discussions about religion. I used to try to talk to my conservative family about my liberal beliefs, but it always ended in an argument. I stopped because it wasn't healthy for our relationships.The best thing that you can do in your case is to try to understand where the other person is coming from. Sure, you may have a more educated opinion, but if you can't communicate with them then you will never be able to change their mind.
alexhenderson
I argue with a ton of people that I know, and most of them ask me why I believe in evolution.

I always ask them to look at the evidence some day and to stop being arrogant, but they deny the fact, because it gets in the way of God.

What can I say to them? I get the usual response, Adolf Hitler was an athiest, but he was Catholic. They still don't believe me.

Biology news on Phys.org
I got from another thread that you're only 14 years old. I know it's unfair, but people won't believe anything you say because you are too young. I think that age doesn't matter, but a lot of the world thinks it does.

The best thing that you can do in your case is take a few biology classes and learn why evolution is really true. I think that, if you haven't studied a particular subject, then you are unqualified to talk about it. Most creationists don't know anything they're talking about. But thesame thing actually applies to you. You may believe the correct scientific thing, but it doesn't mean much if you haven't actually studied it.l

As for the people that think evolution is false because hitler is atheist... Well, I hope that those people are pretty young, because it shows a lack of knowledge of both history and biology... Tragic...

It's a hard thing! You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think. My advice would echo micromass's, take a biology course or buy an introductory book on the subject. I know the name is a little off-putting but I've always found the "Dummies Guide" books very good, they have one on evolution.

Some tips for you though;

- Try not to use the word "believe", it has connotations of faith. The word "accept" is much better i.e. "I accept evolution because..."
- In arguments try explaining the basics of evolution. Many people try to jump straight onto monkeys and men but if you start simple it tends to make people think. All evolution really is is the gradual change of species over time. When an organism reproduces it passes on its DNA but there will be some errors in the copying making the offspring slightly different. Over long scales of time the organisms can be radically different.
- Ask the person what their understanding of evolution is. In my experience 9/10 creationists are creationists because they have been raised in an environment surrounded by other creationists/priests etc always telling them it's wrong. If they tell you what they understand it to be you can work from there correcting them. Remember; just because they are wrong doesn't make them idiots. The majority of people are perfectly normal, they have just been brought up in an environment that perpetuates this.
- Stay Calm and Stay Polite! I cannot overstress this one enough, the last thing anyone wants is somebody ridiculing their beliefs and implying they are stupid. The aim isn't to attack the person but to help them by educating them. Even if they ridicule you be the bigger man (or woman), take it on the chin and stay calm.

Hope this helps, as for the hitler thing (aside from the fact he was catholic) ask them this "If a mass murderer tells you 2 + 2 = 4 does that make him wrong because he is a murderer?".

alexhenderson said:
I argue with a ton of people that I know... What can I say to them?
Nothing. Stop arguing with them, it isn't healthy for your relationships and there is no need/reason for you to be doing it. I have a friend who is extremely liberal. We used to argue politics all the time, but I stopped discussing politics with him because the arguments always became heated. I have another friend who is bad at managing money and I used to try to help him, but I stopped because he always got mad because he thought I was criticizing him. In both cases, we get along better now.

I understand the ongoing debate between evolution and religion. However, it is important to recognize that science and religion are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Evolution is a scientific theory that is supported by a wealth of evidence from various fields such as biology, geology, and genetics. It is constantly being tested and refined through the scientific method.

On the other hand, religion is based on faith and belief in a higher power. It provides answers to questions that science may not be able to answer. While some may see a conflict between the two, it is possible to hold both beliefs simultaneously. Many religious individuals also accept the theory of evolution and see it as a way for their faith to coexist with scientific understanding.

It is important to approach discussions about evolution and religion with an open mind and respect for differing beliefs. Simply dismissing someone's belief in a higher power as "arrogant" or trying to use examples like Adolf Hitler to discredit religion is not productive. Instead, I would suggest discussing the evidence for evolution and how it does not necessarily contradict religious beliefs. It is also important to remember that beliefs and opinions should be based on evidence and critical thinking, not just personal biases or societal norms.

In the end, it is up to each individual to decide what they believe in. I encourage everyone to examine the evidence and think critically about their beliefs, but ultimately it is a personal choice. Let us approach these discussions with respect and understanding, rather than trying to prove one belief as superior to the other.

1. What is the definition of evolution?

Evolution is the scientific theory that states all living organisms on Earth have descended from a common ancestor, and that the diversity of life is a result of gradual changes over millions of years.

2. What is the basis of the conflict between evolution and religion?

The conflict between evolution and religion stems from the different beliefs about the origin of life. Evolution is based on scientific evidence and natural processes, while religion typically relies on a divine creator.

3. Can someone believe in both evolution and religion?

Yes, it is possible to believe in both evolution and religion. Many individuals and religious groups have found ways to reconcile the two, such as interpreting religious texts symbolically or seeing evolution as part of God's plan.

4. Is evolution just a theory?

In science, a theory is an explanation that is supported by a vast amount of evidence and can make accurate predictions. So, while evolution is a theory, it is also a widely accepted and well-supported explanation for the diversity of life on Earth.

5. Can evolution and religion coexist in schools?

The teaching of evolution in schools has been a controversial topic. However, many schools have found ways to teach evolution in a way that does not conflict with religious beliefs. In some cases, schools may teach both evolution and creationism, but they are typically presented as separate beliefs rather than competing theories.