What Do the Variables r and s Represent in Matrix Notation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formal definition of ## \epsilon(i,j)_{rs} ## in linear algebra, which is written as ## \epsilon (i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ##. The participants also mention that ## \epsilon(i,j)## is a matrix and that the values of r and s represent the dimensions of the matrix. They also note that ## \delta_{ij} ## is 1 when i = j and 0 otherwise. The conversation ends with one participant mentioning that they have a book on order for linear algebra and hoping for some help in understanding the concept.
zoxee
Just going over my linear algebra notes and I've forgotten the formal definition of ## \epsilon(i,j)_{rs} ##

I have written down ## \epsilon (i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ## but I can't seem to remember what r and s represent. Also, I don't quite understand why it equals ## \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ##. I have a book on order for linear algebra which will hopefully help me out, but I can't find anything online for it - so any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
hi zoxee! :smile:
zoxee said:
I have written down ## \epsilon (i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ## but I can't seem to remember what r and s represent.

## \epsilon(i,j)## is a matrix

## \epsilon(i,j)_{rs} ## is the rth row sth column of that matrix :wink:
Also, I don't quite understand why it equals ## \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ##

that's the definition of the matrix ## \epsilon(i,j)##

afaik, ## \epsilon(i,j)## isn't important, there's no need to remember it …

if it comes up in an exam question, they'll give you that definition, and ask you questions about it​

zoxee said:
Just going over my linear algebra notes and I've forgotten the formal definition of ## \epsilon(i,j)_{rs} ##

I have written down ## \epsilon (i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ## but I can't seem to remember what r and s represent. Also, I don't quite understand why it equals ## \delta_{ir}\delta_{js} ##. I have a book on order for linear algebra which will hopefully help me out, but I can't find anything online for it - so any help would be appreciated

I have a feeling your r and s are the dimensions of your matrix. ##\delta_{ij} ## is 1 when i = j and 0 otherwise.

Does that fit with what you remember?

Related to What Do the Variables r and s Represent in Matrix Notation?

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent and manipulate data.

2. What is the notation used for matrices?

The notation used for matrices is square brackets [ ] to enclose the elements, and a comma to separate the elements within a row. Rows are separated by semicolons, and the number of rows and columns is denoted by the size of the matrix, such as m x n.

3. How do you read a matrix?

Matrices are read by starting at the top left corner and moving horizontally across the row, then vertically down the column. The numbers or symbols within a matrix are referred to as elements, and their position is denoted by a subscript. For example, a11 refers to the element in the first row and first column.

4. What is the difference between a row and a column in a matrix?

A row is a horizontal sequence of elements within a matrix, while a column is a vertical sequence of elements. The number of rows and columns in a matrix determine its size, and each element has a unique position within the matrix.

5. How do you perform operations on matrices?

To perform operations on matrices, the matrices must have the same size. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting corresponding elements, while multiplication requires following a specific set of rules. In general, operations on matrices follow the same rules as operations on real numbers.