1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do we mean when we say 1 kg of bananas ?

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    What do we mean when we say "1 kg of bananas"?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I buy 1 kg bananas in a supermarket on the moon, will I get the same amount (mass) of bananas as if I bought them on the earth?

2. Relevant equations

w=mg
    g moon = 1/6 g earth

3. The attempt at a solution
    It depends on what they mean by 1 kg surely. If the supermarkets are meaning 1 kg mass, the answer is yes. If they mean 1 kg wt (= force) then no. What does the supermarket mean when they say "1 kg"?

Another way of looking at it: If they us an oscillatory balance, yes. But, if they use a spring balance, no. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2
    Re: What do we mean when we say "1 kg of bananas"?

The weight of the bananas is a force as you said, forget that for this question, that increases as the force of gravity increases according to w=mg. The question is talking about the mass of the bananas, which is always 1 kg whether your on the moon or on earth so yes you do get the same amount.

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you're right. And I think you should throw 1 kg of tomatoes at your teacher for asking this ambiguous question! [Of course, it's not really ambiguous if the supermarkets on the moon have properly calibrated their spring balances.]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. Dec 28, 2012 #4

LOL =)
    Funny task:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook