What do we mean when we say 1 kg of bananas ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterPumpkin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PeterPumpkin
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
What do we mean when we say "1 kg of bananas"?

Homework Statement


If I buy 1 kg bananas in a supermarket on the moon, will I get the same amount (mass) of bananas as if I bought them on the earth?

Homework Equations



w=mg
g moon = 1/6 g earth

The Attempt at a Solution


It depends on what they mean by 1 kg surely. If the supermarkets are meaning 1 kg mass, the answer is yes. If they mean 1 kg wt (= force) then no. What does the supermarket mean when they say "1 kg"?

Another way of looking at it: If they us an oscillatory balance, yes. But, if they use a spring balance, no. Am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


The weight of the bananas is a force as you said, forget that for this question, that increases as the force of gravity increases according to w=mg. The question is talking about the mass of the bananas, which is always 1 kg whether your on the moon or on Earth so yes you do get the same amount.
 


PeterPumpkin said:
Another way of looking at it: If they us an oscillatory balance, yes. But, if they use a spring balance, no. Am I right?

Yes, you're right. And I think you should throw 1 kg of tomatoes at your teacher for asking this ambiguous question! [Of course, it's not really ambiguous if the supermarkets on the moon have properly calibrated their spring balances.]
 
Last edited: