Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does a light 'filter' do?

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    I'm doing a question about a laser which emits blue and green light.

It asks about the light after it has passed through 'a green filter'. What passes through, green or blue light?

I originally thought green light must pass through, then realised it could mean green light is reflected.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    A light filter actually stops a particular wavelength of light from passing through it.
    Eg : If there is green filter placed, then green light is stopped and all the rest of the colours are allowed to pass.

4. May 31, 2010 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The way you present the question is ambiguous, and certainly can be interpreted to be a green 'pass' filter or a green 'stop' filter.

Conventionally, saying 'a green filter' means a pass filter- only green passes through the filter.

The details of what a filter does is dependent on the kind of filter. There are absorptive filters and reflection filters; The mechanism can include absorption, interference, total internal reflection, birefringence, thin film interference, or some combination of those; there are passband filters, notch filters, long pass filters, short pass filters, polarization filters, spatial filters (which are not spectral), etc...

5. May 31, 2010 #4
    That's basically all the question says. It could possibly be something from the old spec, where the textbook would define exactly what a filter does. I just thought there might be a convention or something.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook