What does it mean first 2 flips are heads

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of the first 2 flips being heads when flipping a coin 6 times and rolling a 6-sided die once. It is determined that the probability is 1/24, as the first 2 flips are independent from the rest of the flips and the dice roll.
zeion
what does it mean "first 2 flips are heads"

Homework Statement

I have a problem that asks me the find the probability that the first 2 flips after tossing 6 coin is heads.

does it mean that it is the result {HHTTTT}?
or does it include results like {HHTHH}, {HHTTH}, etc?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not 100% clear on what your question is. If the question is asking what are the chances that you will have two instances of heads in your first two flips out of 6 flips you simply need to do:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
(50% chance of heads for the first flip) (multiplied) (50% chance of heads for the second flip)

= [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] = 25%

i'm asking, if

{HHTTT} means "first 2 are heads"

then
does

{HHTHH} also mean "first 2 are heads" ?

or does it mean that the rest of the 4 flips must all be tails ?

zeion, if we are to interpret what it says from your paraphrasing - and you don't know what it means, how are we to give the correct interpretation?

Write out the question exactly.

Suppose that we flip a coin six times and roll a 6-sided die once. Suppose also that all outcomes of this experiment (consisting of an ordered sequence of results for the flips (heads of tails) and the number showing on the die after the roll (an integer from 1 to 6)) are equally likely.

Find the following probabilities:

1) .. i am done
2) The probability that the first R flips are heads, where R is whatever number is showing on the die.
3) ..
4) ..

zeion said:
2) The probability that the first R flips are heads, where R is whatever number is showing on
Ok so,
-if the die shows a 2, what is the probability that the first 2 coin flips are heads?
and
-if the die shows a 5, what is the probability that the first 5 coin flips are heads?
and
-etc.

so I am asking:

what does it mean first 2 coins are heads?

Is it {HHTTTT} ?

zeion said:
so I am asking:

what does it mean first 2 coins are heads?

Is it {HHTTTT} ?
We don't care about the last four flips, so it would be HHXXXX, where X could be H or T.

so probability for first 2 are heads is 2^4 / 2^6 ?

zeion said:
so probability for first 2 are heads is 2^4 / 2^6 ?
Probability that first two flips are heads is .5 x.5 = .25

oh that is much simpler

so first 2 are heads and roll a 2 is (1/4) * (1/6) = 1/24 ?

zeion said:
oh that is much simpler

so first 2 are heads and roll a 2 is (1/4) * (1/6) = 1/24 ?

I am having trouble parsing that sentence. Can you please be a little more verbose? Caps and punctuation are required by board rules to aid comprehension.

Oh, that is much simpler!

Let A be the event that the dice lands on 2.
Let B be the event that the first 2 flips out of 6 are heads.
Let E be the event that the dice lands on 2 and the first 2 flips out of 6 are heads.

Then,
E = A∩B since A and B are independent.

Then,
P(E) = P(A∩B) = P(A)P(B) = (1/6)(1/4) = 1/24

Does that look right?

1. What is the meaning of "first 2 flips are heads" in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, "first 2 flips are heads" refers to the outcome of a coin toss experiment where the first two flips result in the coin landing on the heads side.

2. How is the probability calculated for the first 2 flips being heads?

The probability for the first 2 flips being heads is calculated by multiplying the probability of getting heads on the first flip (1/2 or 0.5) with the probability of getting heads on the second flip (1/2 or 0.5). This results in a probability of 1/4 or 0.25.

3. Is getting two heads in a row a rare or common occurrence?

Getting two heads in a row is a relatively common occurrence, as the probability of it happening is 1/4 or 0.25. This means that out of 4 coin tosses, you can expect to get two heads in a row at least once.

4. Can the "first 2 flips are heads" outcome be influenced by external factors?

No, the "first 2 flips are heads" outcome is purely based on chance and cannot be influenced by external factors. As long as the coin is flipped fairly, the probability of getting two heads in a row remains the same.

5. What are the implications of the "first 2 flips are heads" outcome in a larger sample size?

In a larger sample size, the "first 2 flips are heads" outcome will occur less frequently as the probability of getting two heads in a row decreases. This follows the law of large numbers, which states that as the sample size increases, the observed outcomes will more closely reflect the expected probabilities.