1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean to find the centroid of a shape?

Tags:
  1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am currently studying how to find the centroid of shapes. And I understand that to find the location of the centroid, we must analyze the distribution of the mass over the x and y axis (i.e calculating Qx and Qy).

However what baffles me is that, given an L shaped beam, the centroid does not necessary need to lie on the mass itself? I thought the centroid was the location where all the mass is concentrated.

How does it make sense that , say the force of gravity, acts outside the shape?

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, for some shapes, the centroid will lie outside the boundaries of the shape.

The centroid is not the point where all the mass is concentrated; it is the point through which all the resultant forces of gravity acting on each particle will act.
    The centroid can be thought of as a "balance point" for the object.

http://www.iitg.ernet.in/rkbc/me101/Presentation/L16-18.pdf

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for the attached presentation! It is so well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted