What does the heat equation tell us about heat flow and energy balance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
TSN79
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
I'm considering a wall, using this equation:

[tex] Q_P + \rho \cdot C_P \cdot \dot V\left( {T_O - T_R } \right) = U \cdot A\left( {T_R - T_O } \right)[/tex]

Where QP is added effect (an oven), [itex]\dot V[/itex] is air-flow, and the rest should be self-explanatory. I'm just not sure what it tells me. The right side gives me the leakage of heat, but I'm not sure what the left side says. Could someone explain?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy in = Energy out...

It looks like you have the input energy in the form of Qp and a stored energy component in the moving air stream. I'm still wondering about the units in that group though...
 
Q=MCpdT
and Q=UAdT
so yeah heat flows, energy in=energy out.
But I think its Joules on either side.