What Does the Vector Diagram of a Turning Vehicle Look Like?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
PowerBuilder
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Recently I began to think somehin which has led to a lot more questions.

If traveling on a straight line and I were to flip a coin a stock standard right handed triangle would be made, due to the coin going up and down.

What would the vector diagram look like if the vehicle was to be turning? Is it a matter of drawing it on the x,y and z planes ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PowerBuilder said:
If traveling on a straight line and I were to flip a coin a stock standard right handed triangle would be made, due to the coin going up and down.

It would not form a triangle, it would form a parabola.
 
PowerBuilder said:
Yes! I was right! That's what I suspected.

:confused:

I haven't even addressed your question yet (sentence 3). I was simply correcting your premise (sentence 2).
 
Sorry I jumped te gun a bit too quick. It would create a parabola as it goes up and finally falls down. It would though create a triangle between it's initial position, terminal height. Or am I wrong ?
 
PowerBuilder said:
Sorry I jumped te gun a bit too quick. It would create a parabola as it goes up and finally falls down. It would though create a triangle between it's initial position, terminal height. Or am I wrong ?

Well you could say that a parabola drawn at very low resolution will look like a triangle. Certainly if you take just the initial point, the highest point and the final point, they will form a triangle, but then so will any three points if they're not all on the same line!
 
Michael C said:
Well you could say that a parabola drawn at very low resolution will look like a triangle. Certainly if you take just the initial point, the highest point and the final point, they will form a triangle, but then so will any three points if they're not all on the same line!

Definitely. It will always form a triangle. However, if you are considering the trajectory, I the first is definitely a parabola and the second will probably look like some sort of parametric curve. At least I believe so.