What does this notation mean exactly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of bra-ket notation and its application in terms of the spherical momentum operator in Hilbert space. The question raised is whether the presence of both a "|" and a comma in the expression <f|p, g> is a typo, and what properties of f and g would allow this notation to be used. It is suggested that the notation is emphasizing the self-adjoint property of the spherical momentum operator, and that this relation holds for all elements f and g in the specific Hilbert space being worked with.
Demon117
I have been staring at this practically all day. I understand bra-ket notation but this is weird. Possibly a typo?

<f|p, g> = <pf|g>

f and g are functions in Hilbert space and p is the spherical momentum operator. What properties of f and g would make this possible? I guess I just want someone to explain this, and also how do you put this in terms of latex command?

Physics news on Phys.org
The_Duck said:

That is kinda what I thought, because if you go through some properties you end up with

<f|p, g> = (<f|p)|g> = <f|(p|g>) = <f|pg> = <pf|g> which is a property of self-adjoint operators.

So maybe that is all it means, but what properties of f and g allow this, do they have to be elements of the specific Hilbert space you are working with?

Last edited by a moderator:
If an operator is self adjoint, then the relation would hold for all elements f and g.

matumich26 said:
I have been staring at this practically all day. I understand bra-ket notation but this is weird. Possibly a typo?

<f|p, g> = <pf|g>

f and g are functions in Hilbert space and p is the spherical momentum operator.
Why is there both a | and a comma on the left? It should be [itex]\langle f|p|g\rangle[/itex] or [itex]\langle f,pg\rangle[/itex]

1. What does the notation "x = y" mean exactly?

The notation "x = y" means that the value of the variable or quantity represented by the symbol "x" is equal to the value of the variable or quantity represented by the symbol "y". In other words, "x" and "y" are equivalent and can be substituted for each other in an equation or expression.

2. How is the notation "f(x)" different from "x" alone?

The notation "f(x)" represents a function, where "x" is the input value and "f(x)" is the output value. This means that the value of "f(x)" is dependent on the value of "x" and can change based on different inputs. On the other hand, "x" alone may represent a variable or quantity without any specific relationship to other values.

3. What is the purpose of using subscripts and superscripts in notation?

Subscripts and superscripts are used in notation to indicate specific information about a variable or quantity. Subscripts are typically used to differentiate between different variables or quantities that may have the same symbol, while superscripts are often used to denote exponents or powers.

4. How do parentheses affect the meaning of notation?

Parentheses are used in notation to indicate the order of operations, similar to how they are used in mathematical expressions. They can also be used to group certain terms together or to clarify the meaning of an equation or expression.

5. Can notation have multiple meanings or interpretations?

Yes, notation can have multiple meanings or interpretations depending on the context in which it is used. It is important to consider the specific definitions and conventions being used in a particular field of study when interpreting notation.