1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What equation to use for projectile motion problems

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    I was given a list of equations for projectile motion and two of the equations have the same variables but give different outputs. I don't understand when to use one equation and when to use the other. The equations are:

ay=(vfy-viy)/(delta t)

and

(vfy)^2= (viy)^2 + 2ay(delta t)

I tried using the second equation to solve the following problem but got it wrong. In the book they used the first equation. I see how using the first equation makes sense now, but why is it wrong to use the second equation?

A marble rolls off a table at the horizontal velocity of 1.93 m/s. The tabletop is 76.5 cm above the floor. If air resistance is negligible, determine the velocity at impact.

I solved for (delta t) and got 0.4s. I rearranged the second equation to find (vfy) and tried to solve using (viy)=0m/s, ay= 9.8 m/s^2, and (delta t)= 0.4s . I found (vfy) to be 2.8 m/s when its supposed to be 3.9 m/s

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    Recheck your second equation. Are you sure 'delta t' isn't 'delta y'?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3
    They have (delta t) written in the textbook

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4
    Everything looks good except I think your second equation isn't quite right. 0.4s is correct. What textbook is this?

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The second equation should definitely have [itex]\Delta y[/itex] instead of [itex]\Delta t[/itex]. If your book has [itex]\Delta y[/itex] there, it's a misprint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook