What equation to use for projectile motion problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations for projectile motion that have the same variables but give different outputs. The first equation is used to solve a problem involving a marble rolling off a table, while the second equation is used to find the velocity at impact. However, the second equation is incorrect and should have Δy instead of Δt. The mistake is likely due to a misprint in the textbook.
pickle37
I was given a list of equations for projectile motion and two of the equations have the same variables but give different outputs. I don't understand when to use one equation and when to use the other. The equations are:

ay=(vfy-viy)/(delta t)

and

(vfy)^2= (viy)^2 + 2ay(delta t)

I tried using the second equation to solve the following problem but got it wrong. In the book they used the first equation. I see how using the first equation makes sense now, but why is it wrong to use the second equation?

A marble rolls off a table at the horizontal velocity of 1.93 m/s. The tabletop is 76.5 cm above the floor. If air resistance is negligible, determine the velocity at impact.

I solved for (delta t) and got 0.4s. I rearranged the second equation to find (vfy) and tried to solve using (viy)=0m/s, ay= 9.8 m/s^2, and (delta t)= 0.4s . I found (vfy) to be 2.8 m/s when its supposed to be 3.9 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your second equation. Are you sure 'delta t' isn't 'delta y'?

They have (delta t) written in the textbook

Everything looks good except I think your second equation isn't quite right. 0.4s is correct. What textbook is this?

The second equation should definitely have [itex]\Delta y[/itex] instead of [itex]\Delta t[/itex]. If your book has [itex]\Delta y[/itex] there, it's a misprint.

1. What is the basic equation for projectile motion?

The basic equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0yt - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical displacement, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. When should I use the horizontal and vertical components of velocity in projectile motion?

In projectile motion problems, the initial velocity can be broken down into horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component (v0x) remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component (v0y) changes due to the effect of gravity. Therefore, the horizontal and vertical components of velocity should be used when solving for different variables in the equation, such as time, displacement, or final velocity.

3. Can I use the same equation for all types of projectile motion?

Yes, the same equation can be used for all types of projectile motion, including objects launched at an angle or dropped from a height. The only difference is that the initial conditions, such as the initial velocity and position, may vary. However, the basic equation remains the same.

4. How do I find the initial velocity or angle in projectile motion problems?

The initial velocity or angle can be found by using the given information in the problem, such as the initial position, final position, and time. You can use the equation v = Δx/Δt to find the initial velocity, or use trigonometric functions to find the angle.

5. Can I use the same equation for projectile motion on different planets or in different environments?

No, the same equation cannot be used for projectile motion on different planets or in different environments. This is because the acceleration due to gravity (g) varies on different planets and in different environments. Therefore, the value of g must be adjusted accordingly in the equation to account for this difference.