What exactly does the proposed 4th law of thermodynamics mean?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DeathByKugelBlitz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law Mean Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
DeathByKugelBlitz
Gold Member
Messages
28
Reaction score
16
'Every non-equilibrium state of a system or local subsystem for which entropy is well defined must be equipped with a metric in state space with respect to which the irreversible component of its time evolution is in the direction of steepest entropy ascent compatible with the conservation constraints.'

I understand the first 4 laws but this one is new
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, this is fresh stuff with a lot of background research from the last 40 years. It looks like it is not a consequence of the 0th (transitivity of thermodynamic equilibrium and empiric/operational definition of temperature), 1st, 2nd and 3rd laws of thermodynamics, but an independent conclusion. I can't say more right now, I let some expert offer an explanation of its meaning and relevance.
I thank you for bringing it up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and DeathByKugelBlitz