What exactly is the physics behind transition radiation and TR detectors?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Whiteblooded
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm currently studying modern particle detectors, and was wondering whether someone on physicsforums could explain what transition radiation really is, and how exactly it is detected?

My knowledge:
- I've read that Cherenkov radiation is similar to transition radiation.
- I understand how measuring Cherenkov radiation for fast moving particles cones in large water tanks using PMTs (like in the Superkamio Kande experiment), how particle momenta can be deduced.
- I understand that transition radiation occurs when relativistic particles travel through materials with inhomogeneous refractive indicies - though, I'm not sure why. I also heard that in particle detectors, it is more useful to use transition radiation to measure momentum, as it is easier to deduce the type of the particle - not sure why.

I've been reading quite a few web pages, to no avail.. they're all either really complicated or all really basic.. Just wondering if anyone could give me something somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org