What exactly is the physics behind transition radiation and TR detectors?

In summary, transition radiation is a type of radiation that occurs when relativistic particles travel through materials with varying refractive indices. It is similar to Cherenkov radiation and can be used in particle detectors to measure the momentum and type of particles. The Wikipedia article on transition radiation provides a detailed explanation of its properties and uses.
Whiteblooded
I'm currently studying modern particle detectors, and was wondering whether someone on physicsforums could explain what transition radiation really is, and how exactly it is detected?

My knowledge:
- I've read that Cherenkov radiation is similar to transition radiation.
- I understand how measuring Cherenkov radiation for fast moving particles cones in large water tanks using PMTs (like in the Superkamio Kande experiment), how particle momenta can be deduced.
- I understand that transition radiation occurs when relativistic particles travel through materials with inhomogeneous refractive indicies - though, I'm not sure why. I also heard that in particle detectors, it is more useful to use transition radiation to measure momentum, as it is easier to deduce the type of the particle - not sure why.

I've been reading quite a few web pages, to no avail.. they're all either really complicated or all really basic.. Just wondering if anyone could give me something somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
.. nobody?

Related to What exactly is the physics behind transition radiation and TR detectors?

1. What is transition radiation?

Transition radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle passes through the interface between two materials with different dielectric constants.

2. How does transition radiation occur?

When a charged particle travels through a medium, it creates an oscillating electric field. When this field encounters a boundary between materials with different dielectric constants, it can lead to the emission of transition radiation.

3. What is the role of TR detectors in studying transition radiation?

TR detectors are used to detect and measure the properties of transition radiation. They consist of a radiator material, such as a thin metal foil, and a detector material, such as a gas or semiconductor, placed in close proximity to the radiator.

4. How do TR detectors work?

When transition radiation is emitted, it ionizes the detector material, creating a signal that can be measured. The properties of the transition radiation, such as its energy and intensity, can then be determined from the signal detected by the TR detector.

5. What applications does transition radiation and TR detectors have?

Transition radiation and TR detectors have various applications in particle physics research, such as in high-energy particle accelerators, where they can be used to study the properties of charged particles. They are also used in medical imaging and security screening technologies.