Nuclear Engineer Looking into High Energy Physics Detectors

In summary: You can make a decent living as a nuclear engineer but it's not as high as industry.In summary, a senior nuclear engineer with a good GPA is interested in detector development and thinks a masters in physics may not be necessary.
Phoenix Baldez
So I am a senior nuclear engineer with a good GPA and I've actually taken some extra math (PDEs) and physics (nuclear physics and astrophysics) courses over the years.

I am extremely interested in detection in general. I have worked at a national lab designing and building neutron detectors and labs in my school doing certain types of radiation detection so I am very familiar with how radiation detectors work and are used.

I am wondering what path I could take in grad school so that I could someday design, test and build large scale detectors for high energy physics experiments? Examples of such detectors would be ATLAS, CMS, ALICE, PHENIX and STAR.

These are obviously very prestigious physics experiments but I am curious if its just physicists that design these detectors and then get the electrical engineers and such to construct them or is there room in there fr someone who has a more hand on approach to designing detectors. Would a masters in physics be a must or could I continue nuclear engineering under someone/some program that could have applications to these types of physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those experiments are designed by physics PhD's - and a great many of them - not nuclear engineers (or a single nuclear engineer). There are EE's and ME's involved in the construction - after all, you don't want your nice pretty detector falling apart. Also, at these scales, the experiments tend to be rather conservative with their technologies: you don't want to risk everything on an untried technology.

Likes atyy
In my experience (I work at a National Lab designing electronics for radiation detectors and image sensors) the experiments are completely designed by Physics PhDs, but the detectors themselves are designed by very large teams including Physicists, EEs, Mech. Es, and I actually have worked with a Nuclear Engineering Postdoc on Liquid Argon Detectors for Double Beta-Decay searches.

Some of my colleagues worked on ATLAS, CMS, and STAR. At least at my institution more engineers worked on the detector project than physicsts or postdocs. That said, the specs are worked out by physicists and there are loads of different tasks to be done so there is a lot of collaboration between a lot of people.

As for education (I'm talking about detector development and instrumentation, because that's what I know), there are some MS-level engineers but a small majority of the engineers here have PhDs. Most of the younger engineers have PhDs so that's the trend, I guess.

It's much easier to get into this line of work as an engineer because the pay is so much lower than industry. Therefore only people who love the work apply.

1. What is the role of a nuclear engineer in high energy physics?

A nuclear engineer in high energy physics works on designing, building, and maintaining detectors that are used to study and analyze particles at extremely high energies. They also play a crucial role in developing advanced technologies and techniques for data collection and analysis in this field.

2. What skills are required for a nuclear engineer to work on high energy physics detectors?

A nuclear engineer working on high energy physics detectors requires a strong understanding of nuclear physics, particle physics, and radiation detection. They also need to be proficient in computer programming, data analysis, and have a good understanding of electronics and mechanical engineering.

3. What types of detectors are used in high energy physics experiments?

There are several types of detectors used in high energy physics experiments, including particle detectors, calorimeters, spectrometers, and time-of-flight detectors. Each type has its own specific function and is designed to detect different types of particles and energies.

4. How do nuclear engineers ensure the accuracy and reliability of high energy physics detectors?

Nuclear engineers use a combination of simulation, testing, and calibration techniques to ensure the accuracy and reliability of high energy physics detectors. They also work closely with physicists and other experts in the field to continuously improve and optimize detector performance.

5. What are the potential applications of high energy physics detectors?

High energy physics detectors have a wide range of potential applications, including medical imaging, security screening, and environmental monitoring. They also contribute to our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and can help us develop new technologies and materials.