What Flexible Opaque Black Material is Best for Light Shrouding?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Khashishi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,812
Reaction score
491
I'm looking for a material to use as a light shroud for a joint between a spectrometer and camera. Basically, I want something that is flexible, opaque, black, and fairly thin and not too fragile and something I can readily buy. Do you know any such material? I have used Poron foam before which works ok but I'm wondering if there is something better.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical tape?
 
I use closed-cell neoprene foam. Used as a gasket, when lightly compressed it is very effective.

PVC electrical tape is completely transparent beyond about 900nm - you can see right through it with an IR viewer, so I would avoid that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Khashishi
Khashishi said:
I'm looking for a material to use as a light shroud for a joint between a spectrometer and camera. Basically, I want something that is flexible, opaque, black, and fairly thin and not too fragile and something I can readily buy. Do you know any such material? I have used Poron foam before which works ok but I'm wondering if there is something better.

Fabric?
 
Daz said:
PVC electrical tape is completely transparent beyond about 900nm - you can see right through it with an IR viewer, so I would avoid that.
Hrm. OP didn't mention IR.

Perhaps we could use more details.
 
Daz said:
PVC electrical tape is completely transparent beyond about 900nm - you can see right through it with an IR viewer, so I would avoid that.
PF needs an award for totally fascinating and potentially useful cool trivia that only a true geek can appreciate.
 
Daz said:
That's why I always take my IR viewer along when shopping for new clothes! (Now there's a true geek!)
Or a perv...:biggrin:
 
Oooo that back-fired, didn't it? I was only joking, of course; I don't really take it.

At least, not since the court case. My probation officer won't allow it.

Still joking. REALLY! JUST JOKING!