What force is needed to break a rope?

Lotto
Homework Statement
I pull a rope tied to a tree with 10 N. The force needed to break a rope is 15 N. Will I break the rope? What if two people pull the rope from opposite ends with forces 10 N and -10 N. Will the rope break now?
Relevant Equations
Newtons third law of motion
I would say that it will not break in both cases, since tension force is 10 N, no matter if I pull it against a tree or a person.

But I am not sure. How is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotto said:
since tension force is 10 N, no matter if I pull it against a tree or a person.
You are exactly right.

Lotto said:
Homework Statement: I pull a rope tied to a tree with 10 N. The force needed to break a rope is 15 N. Will I break the rope? What if two people pull the rope from opposite ends with forces 10 N and -10 N. Will the rope break now?
Relevant Equations: Newtons third law of motion

I would say that it will not break in both cases, since tension force is 10 N, no matter if I pull it against a tree or a person.

But I am not sure. How is it?
Sketch a FBD for each case.

In the first, we have a person acting on the rope to, say, the left of 10 N. On the other end we have the tree in a fixed position. Since ideal ropes transmit force, there is a force of 10 N on this tree, acting to the left. Thus, by Newton's 3rd, it is exerting a force of 10 N on rope, acting to the right. The tension in the rope will be will be 10 N, so it will not break.

In the second case, we have almost the same situation. Note that, if the person on the other end didn't move or exert any force, then the tension in the rope is again 10 N. But the person is now exerting a 10 N force to the right, in addition to the force exerted by them by staying still. So now there is an extra 10 N acting on the rope and thus the tension is 20 N. So the rope breaks.

-Dan

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes PeroK and jbriggs444
topsquark said:
Note that, if the person on the other end didn't move or exert any force,
Then the rope could not be subject to any force from that person. It would be a massless object subject to a non-zero net force. Which is a contradiction to Newton's second law.

Write down the force balance and you will see that to balance forces on the rope, the other person must be exerting a 10 N force, equal and opposite to the force exerted by us. Those two forces are a "second law pair".

The other person exerts the same force on the rope that the tree exerts on the rope. @Lotto has it right. You have it all wrong.

Likes PeroK, Lnewqban and topsquark
jbriggs444 said:
"second law pair".
Shouldn’t it be a third law pair?

Likes topsquark
Frabjous said:
Shouldn’t it be a third law pair?
A third law pair is matching up the force of A directly on B with the force of B directly on A. Yes, the third law states that those must be equal and opposite.

If you have an ideal massless object between A and B (call it R for rope) then you have the force of A on R and the force of B on R. Those are not third law partner forces.

But if you write down Newton's second law: ##\sum F = ma## you get ##F_\text{AR} + F_\text{BR} = m_Ra_R = 0## and you can conclude that ##F_\text{AR} = -F_\text{BR}##. I use the term "second law pair" to refer to the two forces in such a situation.

Admittedly, if you are used to reading "third law partner", the notion of a "second law partner" may be jarring. If so, feel free to ignore the phrase and substitute the second law logic.

Likes Frabjous and topsquark
jbriggs444 said:
Then the rope could not be subject to any force from that person. It would be a massless object subject to a non-zero net force. Which is a contradiction to Newton's second law.

Write down the force balance and you will see that to balance forces on the rope, the other person must be exerting a 10 N force, equal and opposite to the force exerted by us. Those two forces are a "second law pair".

The other person exerts the same force on the rope that the tree exerts on the rope. @Lotto has it right. You have it all wrong.
The issue, then, is that I'm reading the question wrong. I had taken the person to be adding an extra 10 N on top of the 10 N they needed to remain motionless.

Thanks for the catch!

My apologies to all.

-Dan

Likes jbriggs444
Lotto said:
Right. The person pulls with 10 N of force, the tree pulls back with 10 N of force.
In the other case, a person pulls with 10 N of force and a second person pulls back with 10 N of force.

It makes no difference if it's the tree or the second person that's doing the pulling. You get 10 N of tension in the rope either way.

Likes jbriggs444 and topsquark
jbriggs444 said:
A third law pair is matching up the force of A directly on B with the force of B directly on A. Yes, the third law states that those must be equal and opposite.

If you have an ideal massless object between A and B (call it R for rope) then you have the force of A on R and the force of B on R. Those are not third law partner forces.

But if you write down Newton's second law: ##\sum F = ma## you get ##F_\text{AR} + F_\text{BR} = m_Ra_R = 0## and you can conclude that ##F_\text{AR} = -F_\text{BR}##. I use the term "second law pair" to refer to the two forces in such a situation.

Admittedly, if you are used to reading "third law partner", the notion of a "second law partner" may be jarring. If so, feel free to ignore the phrase and substitute the second law logic.
I thought the third law was that a robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second law. I don’t see what that has to do with this rope problem.

• Haha
Likes jbriggs444 and Frabjous

Related to What force is needed to break a rope?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the state of motion or shape of an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force related to breaking a rope?

When a force is applied to a rope, it creates tension within the rope. If the force exceeds the strength of the rope, it will break. The amount of force needed to break a rope depends on the material and thickness of the rope.

3. What factors affect the force needed to break a rope?

The main factors that affect the force needed to break a rope are the material, thickness, and condition of the rope, as well as the angle and direction of the force being applied.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the force needed to break a rope?

Yes, the formula for calculating the force needed to break a rope is F = (T/A) x L, where F is the force, T is the tension in the rope, A is the cross-sectional area of the rope, and L is the length of the rope.

5. Can a rope break without any external force?

No, a rope cannot break without any external force. It requires a force to be applied to create tension and exceed the strength of the rope. However, natural factors such as wear and tear, exposure to extreme temperatures, and chemical reactions can weaken a rope and make it more susceptible to breaking under a smaller force.