What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?

In summary, a 310 g sphere with a diameter of 8.90 cm is released from rest at the top of a 2.00 m incline with an angle of 17 degrees. It rolls without slipping to the bottom. The sphere's angular velocity at the bottom can be calculated by using the formula w = v/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the radius. The rotational kinetic energy at the bottom can be calculated using the formula (1/10)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the linear velocity. The fraction of kinetic energy that is rotational can be found by dividing the rotational kinetic energy by the total kinetic energy.
spoon
An 8.90-cm-diameter, 310 g sphere is released from rest at the top of a 2.00-m-long, 17 degree incline. It rolls, without slipping, to the bottom.

a) What is the sphere's angular velocity at the bottom of the incline?
b) What fraction of its kinetic energy is rotational?

If someone could help me out, it'd be great...I'm not exactly sure how to tackle this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
To start off...

Gravitational Potential Energy = Linear Kinetic Energy + Rotational Kinetic Energy

...Rotational Kinetic Energy = 1/2 I w^2

w(its called omega) = v/r

I of Sphere = (2/5)mr^2...

..thusly...Rotational Kinetic Energy = (1/2)[(2/5)mr^2][v/r]^2...which simplifies to..
...(1/10)mv^2

Work from there...

anaylizing both movement rotational and linear we should consider a kinetic energy of the sum of both the linear of its center of mass and the rotational. Apply Conservation of Mechanical Energy because it's pure rolling motion (no slipping).

Last edited:
I kind of get what you're saying but I'm still sort of lost?

Actually now I got part A...I just need part B...
Thanks for the help by the way

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around a fixed axis. It is dependent on the object's mass, rotational speed, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

How is rotational kinetic energy different from translational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion in a straight line, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around a fixed axis.

What is the formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is KErot = 1/2 * I * ω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

What fraction of an object's total kinetic energy is due to rotation?

The fraction of an object's total kinetic energy that is due to rotation depends on the object's shape and how it is rotating. In general, the rotational kinetic energy is a smaller portion compared to the translational kinetic energy.

How can the rotational kinetic energy of an object be increased?

The rotational kinetic energy of an object can be increased by increasing its moment of inertia or its angular velocity. This can be achieved by increasing the object's mass or changing its shape or the speed at which it is rotating.