What happens if the nuclear bomb is placed and exploded on the Jupiter

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of intense explosions on Jupiter, including the speculation of a nuclear bomb causing a chain reaction in the atmosphere. However, it is concluded that due to the lack of oxygen, there is no possibility of burning or chemical reactions on Jupiter. The impact of Comet Shoemaker-Levy on Jupiter in 1994 is also mentioned, with one individual recalling their experience of observing it through a telescope. It is noted that the impact released a much larger amount of energy than any nuclear bomb.
goodphy
Hello. I know that more than 80 percent of the atmosphere of the Jupiter is the hydrogen. Does this fact mean that intense explosion possibly with the nuclear bomb burn all the gas of the Jupiter? There must be huge difference to the explosion on Earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a similar speculation before the first nuke test on Earth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

Teller also raised the speculative possibility that an atomic bomb might "ignite" the atmosphere because of a hypothetical fusion reaction of nitrogen nuclei.[note 1] Bethe calculated that it could not happen,[27] and a report co-authored by Teller showed that "no self-propagating chain of nuclear reactions is likely to be started."[28] In Serber's account, Oppenheimer mentioned it to Arthur Compton, who "didn't have enough sense to shut up about it. It somehow got into a document that went to Washington" and was "never laid to rest".[note 2]

I think goodphy is talking about hydrogen gas burning up, not a continued nuclear chain reaction.

Yes I am. I was not going to the nuclear fusion and I had imagined the some sort of chain reaction as we can see the explosion of the gas pipe started with the such a small ignition like using lighter. What about chemical reaction like this instead of the fusion?

...in which case, the answer is still no, since there is almost no oxygen on Jupiter, so it can't burn.

Note, we got to watch what happens if there are nuke sized explosions on Jupiter when comet S-L 9 broke apart and impacted 10 years or so ago.

Likes 1 person
Oh..yes chemically oxygen is required to get what people normally call `burn`. Thanks!

The process of burning is the oxidization of a material. This means it combines with oxygen to burn. Since there's very little oxygen on Jupiter, nothing would burn.

goodphy said:
What about chemical reaction like this instead of the fusion?
Don't you think something would have ignited it long ago, if it was ignitable? Meteors, lightning etc.

russ_watters said:
...in which case, the answer is still no, since there is almost no oxygen on Jupiter, so it can't burn.

Note, we got to watch what happens if there are nuke sized explosions on Jupiter when comet S-L 9 broke apart and impacted 10 years or so ago.

Comet Shoemaker-Levy struck Jupiter in July 1994, almost twenty years ago.

SteamKing said:
Comet Shoemaker-Levy struck Jupiter in July 1994, almost twenty years ago.
I'm old.

russ_watters said:
I'm old.

I have to agree. Felt like it was in the last decade.

russ_watters said:
I'm old.

me to hahaha

But I still vividly recall looking at the big black blotches in the Jovian atmosphere
through my own telescope.

Best birthday present ever!

Dave

The Shoemaker-Levy impact was much, much larger in terms of energy release than any nuke: 6x1012 tons of TNT or, per wiki, 600 times the combined global arsenal of nuclear weapons. The nuclear fission or fusion of even a few tons of suitable matter doesn't really compare with high speed collisions of large celestial bodies.

1. What would happen if a nuclear bomb was placed and exploded on Jupiter?

If a nuclear bomb were to be placed and detonated on Jupiter, it would likely have little to no impact on the planet. Jupiter's massive size, strong gravity, and thick atmosphere would likely absorb and disperse the explosion without causing any significant damage.

2. Could a nuclear bomb on Jupiter trigger a chain reaction and cause the planet to explode?

No, a nuclear bomb on Jupiter would not trigger a chain reaction that could cause the planet to explode. Jupiter's atmosphere is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, which are not suitable for sustaining a nuclear chain reaction.

3. Would a nuclear bomb on Jupiter have any effect on Earth?

No, a nuclear bomb detonated on Jupiter would not have any direct effect on Earth. The distance between the two planets is too great for any debris or radiation to reach us. However, the explosion may be visible from Earth for a short period of time.

4. Is it possible to detonate a nuclear bomb on Jupiter?

Technically, it is possible to detonate a nuclear bomb on Jupiter. However, the logistics and costs involved in sending a bomb to Jupiter and ensuring its detonation would make it extremely impractical and unlikely.

5. What would be the purpose of placing and exploding a nuclear bomb on Jupiter?

There is no practical purpose for placing and exploding a nuclear bomb on Jupiter. It would not have any scientific or strategic value, and the resources required to do so would be better used for other purposes.