What happens to input power when inverter switched off?

In summary, when an inverter is switched off in a PV system, the input power is affected by a decrease in current. This may result in an increase in resistance, depending on the type of inverter. Additionally, when a PV panel is disconnected from its load, no power is produced due to the relationship between power, voltage, and current. An ideal switch can be seen as a device that changes resistance from 0 when closed to infinity when open. It is unclear if an inverter fully disconnects from its source when turned off.
says
In a PV system, what happens to input power when an inverter is switched off?

I noticed that voltage does not change much but the current does. Does this mean the resistance increases?

Engineering news on Phys.org
says said:
What happens to input power when inverter switched off?

define that question clearer ... switched off ... where ?
before or after the input ?
what sort of inverter ?then this Q may be answered better
says said:
I noticed that voltage does not change much but the current does. Does this mean the resistance increases?
Dave

After the input power. So the sun is still shining on the PV panel, but the inverter is switched off.
I don't know much about inverters to answer your last question, sorry.

If you disconnect a PV panel from its load, no power is produced. Power P is voltage times current, ##P=VI##. Therefore if ##I=0## then ##P=0##.regardless of ##V##.

If you wish, you can view an ideal switch as a device that changes resistance from ##R=0## when closed to ##R=\##infinity when open.

Does an inverter really disconnect from its source when off? I'm not sure about that.

1. What is an inverter and what does it do?

An inverter is an electronic device that converts direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power. This is useful for devices that require AC power, such as household appliances, because most power sources provide DC power.

2. How does an inverter work?

An inverter works by using transistors to switch the polarity of DC power, creating a waveform that resembles AC power. This waveform is then filtered and amplified to produce a stable AC output.

3. What happens to input power when an inverter is switched off?

When an inverter is switched off, it stops converting DC power into AC power. However, the input power is still present and may be used to power other devices connected to the inverter's input.

4. Is there a difference between turning off an inverter and unplugging it?

Yes, there is a difference between turning off an inverter and unplugging it. Turning off an inverter stops the conversion of DC power into AC power, but the input power is still connected and may be used for other purposes. Unplugging an inverter completely disconnects it from the power source.

5. Can an inverter be damaged if it is switched off while under load?

Yes, an inverter can be damaged if it is switched off while under load. This is because the sudden removal of AC power can cause a high voltage spike, which can damage the inverter's components. It is recommended to switch off an inverter while it is not under heavy load to avoid potential damage.