What happens to the angular momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and its conservation in a closed system. The question is asked about what happens to the angular momentum of a spinning object when it comes to a stop. The conversation concludes that the angular momentum goes into the Earth, but since it is a much larger system, it is not affected by the change.
valleysheep
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section or if i have violated a particular rule. (First post).

I don't have a great grasp of classical mechanics, and so some of the simple aspects are lost to me :P. So to the question.

Taking an ice skater as an example (or any other spinning object), when the skater throws out his/her arms they will slow down and when they pull them in their angular velocity increases, as to conserve angular momentum. However, i was wondering what happens to the angular momentum when the skater stops spinning. (Or when a spinning top is at a stand still).

I believed that frictional torque slows the object down (this is where my understanding of CM is lost). Angular momentum must always be conserved and so where does it go to when v=0.

Thanks for any help :P.
(Is it because angular momentum is only conserved in a closed system ?)

Physics news on Phys.org
It goes into the Earth, but the Earth doesn't care-- it has way more already.

Oh wow, makes sense now XD. Feel like a fool now for missing something so obvious :P.

Thank you for helping.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant speed around a fixed axis. It is determined by the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

3. What happens to angular momentum when the distance from the axis of rotation changes?

If the distance from the axis of rotation changes, the angular momentum of the object will also change. As the distance increases, the angular momentum will increase and vice versa.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through the exchange of momentum or the application of a torque. This is known as the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion, as it is a measure of an object's rotational motion around a fixed axis. It is often used to describe the motion of objects such as planets, satellites, and spinning tops.