What if photons were not particles at all?

In summary: I will eat it.In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of photons and whether they are electromagnetic wave-particles or solely electromagnetic waves. The concept of polarization and the potential existence of two intertwined spaces at a 90 degree angle are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the idea that a person's feelings should not be the sole basis for scientific understanding and that established theories should be respected. The example of the photoelectric effect is brought up as evidence for the particle model of photons, but it is also acknowledged that the wave model cannot be completely eliminated. The conversation ends with a discussion on the use of hypotheses in formal logic and the importance of evidence in scientific reasoning.
JocelynL
I was always thought that photons were electromagnetic wave-particles. What if they were only EM waves and not particles at all. You are probably going to ask. What about polarization? And if there were 2 spaces intertwined at 90 degree angle. You probably have played with polarized glass and got 2 at the right angle and it would block all the light, no matter the angle you give them. As long as they are 90 degrees from one another.
My feeling is that photons are only electromagnetic waves traveling in the fabric of space. Well in this case 2 spaces. Does this make sense?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

What is the classic example of when photons exhibit particle-like behavior?

Classical electrodynamics describes light as wave solutions to Maxwell's equations. Quantum electrodynamics describes light in terms of particle states of (the quantum version of) the electromagnetic field. So if you just meant "light" when you said "photons", what you're describing sounds a lot like classical electrodynamics.

I can also interpret your question as "Are experiments that physicists like to interpret as detecting individual photons also consistent with the predictions of classical electrodynamics (a theory in which there's no such thing as photons)?" The answer to that is no. Perhaps classical electrodynamics can explain the results in some of those experiments, but not in all of them.

JocelynL said:
I was always thought that photons were electromagnetic wave-particles. What if they were only EM waves and not particles at all. You are probably going to ask. What about polarization? And if there were 2 spaces intertwined at 90 degree angle. You probably have played with polarized glass and got 2 at the right angle and it would block all the light, no matter the angle you give them. As long as they are 90 degrees from one another.
My feeling is that photons are only electromagnetic waves traveling in the fabric of space. Well in this case 2 spaces. Does this make sense?

Photons/light are quantum objects. It is pointless to look at them as particles or waves because those are classical things and they are neither. They are quantum objects. If you measure wave-like characteristics, you will get wave-like results and if you measure particle-like characteristics you will get particle-like results but that does NOT mean that they are either one. They are quantum objects. Period.

JocelynL said:

It is very difficult to take seriously what you wrote when you are ignoring a whole Zoo of experimental evidence.

You cannot go by nature with just your "feelings". Science doesn't work simply by a matter of tastes and personal preference. My feeling here is that you don't know what you are talking about. Would you then buy MY feelings here?

Zz.

JocelynL said:
I didn't notice the stuff about "2 spaces" when I wrote my first reply. This forum is a great place to learn about the established theories of physics, but you won't be able to discuss your own speculative ideas here. That's actually against the rules. If you'd like to know what the two theories of electrodynamics say about something, feel free to ask more questions about that. But please keep the speculation to a minimum.

JocelynL said:
The photoelectric effect (Einstein's Nobel prize) requires a particle explanation.

You cannot go by nature with just your "feelings". Science doesn't work simply by a matter of tastes and personal preference. My feeling here is that you don't know what you are talking about. Would you then buy MY feelings here?

Oh I am certain that science works and first started out in a simple frame of a 'matter of tastes' before the actual mathematics was developed to alleviate the 'personal preference' dilemma.

A different meaning of the term hypothesis is used in formal logic, to denote the antecedent of a proposition; thus in the proposition "If P, then Q", P denotes the hypothesis (or antecedent); Q can be called a consequent. P is the assumption in a (possibly counterfactual) What If question.

If this red berry tastes good and is good for me (P) then when I eat allot of red berries then I should feel happy (Q). If I feel happy when I eat these red berries then it might be possible that others would like these berries where my feelings could then be sold.

Science first started out as a natural feeling and personal preference when humanity was still in caves deciding what made each of them in the group feel the way they did which involves the scientific thought process of the hypothesis where the base of science, how, what, why, where and when are formed.

Just making a casual observation.

Dryson said:

Oh I am certain that science works and first started out in a simple frame of a 'matter of tastes' before the actual mathematics was developed to alleviate the 'personal preference' dilemma.

A different meaning of the term hypothesis is used in formal logic, to denote the antecedent of a proposition; thus in the proposition "If P, then Q", P denotes the hypothesis (or antecedent); Q can be called a consequent. P is the assumption in a (possibly counterfactual) What If question.

If this red berry tastes good and is good for me (P) then when I eat allot of red berries then I should feel happy (Q). If I feel happy when I eat these red berries then it might be possible that others would like these berries where my feelings could then be sold.

Science first started out as a natural feeling and personal preference when humanity was still in caves deciding what made each of them in the group feel the way they did which involves the scientific thought process of the hypothesis where the base of science, how, what, why, where and when are formed.
Just making a casual observation.

This is nonsense. You were not in those caves to make such a definitive statement. If you were, then your view of science still are stuck with the Neanderthals.

All science are accepted based on evidence of its validity, not because someone had a feeling that it is valid. And when someone had a feeling that light cannot be photons while ignoring a huge body of evidence, that is clearly an example of how wrong such "feelings" can be.

Zz.

Thread locked, pending moderation.

Dryson said:

Dryson, science is defined as: Science (from Latinscientia, meaning "knowledge"[1]) is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

The key here is that science is a systematic enterprise. Cave men were not creating and documenting rules about nature in an organized, systematic way that readily enabled others to reliably understand and test them. Science is indeed based upon, and uses, the basic thought processes and cognitive ability that allowed us to learn and apply knowledge, but that capability in and of itself is not science. It wasn't until the 1600's - 1700's that science as an enterprise (an organization, with internal rules and a collective goal) started to emerge and true "scientific advancement" began to take place.

Now, since the OP's post is a personal theory answering a speculative question, this thread shall remain locked.

What if photons were not particles at all?

This is a common question among those interested in the nature of light and its behavior. There are many theories and speculations about the true nature of photons, and the idea that they may not be particles at all is a fascinating one. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about this topic:

1. What would photons be if not particles?

If photons were not considered particles, they could potentially be classified as waves. This theory is known as wave-particle duality and suggests that photons have both particle-like and wave-like properties.

2. How would this change our understanding of light?

If photons were not considered particles, it would drastically change our understanding of light and its behavior. It would mean that light does not have a definite position or trajectory, but instead exists as a wave of energy that can only be described probabilistically.

3. Would light still travel at the speed of light?

Yes, regardless of whether photons are considered particles or waves, they would still travel at the speed of light. This is a fundamental property of light and is not dependent on its particle-like or wave-like nature.

4. How would this affect the study of quantum mechanics?

The concept of photons being particles is a key aspect of quantum mechanics, so if this were to be disproven, it would have a significant impact on the field. It would require a reevaluation of many theories and models that are based on the assumption that photons are particles.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea that photons are not particles?

There is ongoing research and experimentation to explore the true nature of photons, and some evidence suggests that they may not be particles. For example, the double-slit experiment has shown that photons can exhibit wave-like behavior, supporting the theory of wave-particle duality.