What if the universe is shrinking instead of expanding?

• Thread starter Tobbzn
  • Start date
In summary: So, if space expands infinitely, then the universe would be infinitely large, but if space expands only to a certain point, then the universe would be finite.In summary, the balloon analogy suggests that the space between objects expands, but the universe doesn't expand into anything; however, if we imagine a spherical glass ball in which the universe lies, then the balloon analogy would imply more grid space between points, but if the universe doesn't expand into anything, in order to fit the extra grid cubes, we'd have to shrink each cube in size in comparison to the absolute size of the entire universe.
Tobbzn
I'm a first year physics student, and I've recently read up on some wikipedia cosmology and talked to some people who are far more experienced in this field than I am. I've come across things such as the balloon analogy, which made sort of sense until I heard that the universe doesn't expand into anything.

So, space between objects expands (and accelerated too), but the universe doesn't expand into anything? That doesn't sound right. Seems like a paradox. Now, I know there are paradoxes in nature, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it seemed like it implied a different explanation.

Now, imagine a spherical glass ball in which the universe lies. Imagine, if you will, a cube grid stretching through it. Now, if space expands everywhere, then the balloon analogy would imply more grid space between points, but if the universe doesn't expand into anything, in order to fit the extra grid cubes, you'd have to shrink each cube in size in comparison to the absolute size of the entire universe.

What if that's what is happening? It would explain why space seems to expand but the universe doesn't expand into anything (On a related note, how did we find that out?), if, in fact, we were instead shrinking (and, I suppose, diminishing the speed of light by an equal factor).

When I asked this question to a friend, I was directed to ask at this forum, and I hope I could get some clarification on this subject.

Space news on Phys.org
You can make things look pretty much any way you want by "measuring" things in ways unrelated to the geometry of space-time.

Mayhaps so, but even if this is an inconsequential explanation, it seems less paradoxical to me.

There isn't actually any difference between the universe expanding and atoms getting smaller. The two scenarios are mathematically identical.

We just don't talk about atoms getting smaller because we measure everything around us in terms of the size of atoms, and thus consider them to be constant in size.

Then what is the logical correlation between space expanding and the universe not expanding?

Tobbzn said:
Then what is the logical correlation between space expanding and the universe not expanding?
Well, you have one or the other. You can't sensibly talk about both happening under the same description. Either space is expanding (and, in turn, so is the universe), or space isn't expanding (and neither is the universe), but atoms are shrinking.

The problem is the universe is observationally finite, but, not necessarily spatially finite.

Related to What if the universe is shrinking instead of expanding?

1. What is the deflation hypothesis?

The deflation hypothesis is a theory in economics that suggests a decrease in general price levels due to a decrease in the money supply or an increase in the supply of goods. This is in contrast to inflation, which is an increase in general price levels.

2. What causes deflation?

Deflation can be caused by a decrease in the money supply, which can occur due to a decrease in government spending or an increase in interest rates. It can also be caused by an increase in the supply of goods, which can happen due to advancements in technology or an increase in productivity.

3. What are the effects of deflation?

Deflation can have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it can lead to lower prices for consumers and make goods more affordable. However, it can also lead to a decrease in business profits, which can result in job losses and a decrease in economic growth.

4. How is deflation different from inflation?

Inflation is an overall increase in the price of goods and services, while deflation is an overall decrease. Inflation is typically seen as a sign of a healthy economy, while deflation can be a sign of economic instability. Additionally, deflation is often associated with a decrease in consumer spending, while inflation is associated with an increase.

5. How can deflation be prevented or corrected?

Central banks can use monetary policy to prevent or correct deflation by increasing the money supply or lowering interest rates. Governments can also implement fiscal policies, such as increasing spending or cutting taxes, to stimulate the economy and prevent deflation. However, it is important to carefully balance these measures to avoid creating inflation.