What in the world does an upside down mean? (Set relation proof)

This means that the equivalence class of a real number is the set of all real numbers that are equal to that number plus or minus an integer.
Race

Homework Statement

Let A = (upside down !) (whatever that is). Consider the following rlation R on this set: xRy iff x=y+n for some integer n.

a. Prove R an equivalence relation on A

b. If R is an equiv. relation, find an explicit description of the elements in [1] and [1.25].
Bonus: What are the elements in [3.1415] Explain what elements are in the equivalence class of a generic real number z? (ie: explicitly describe [z]).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to be an equivalence relation it must be reflexive, transitive, and symmetric, but I can't even get to that part when I'm stuck on what the upside-down-! is supposed to be. All numbers in existence ever? In a question later on on the study sheet he says upside-down-! represents the set of all real numbers. Am I supposed to apply that to this question too?

And then there is B, which completely confuses me because I had an infection - which is the very reason I'm not doing this sheet in class with classmate group help.

Any help you guys can give me would be extremely appreciated!

Ps. Um... I think I sound bitter. I'm really not. Really. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
A. To prove R is an equivalence relation, we must show that it is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. Reflexive: For any element x in the set A, xRx. That is, x = x + 0, which is true for all real numbers. Symmetric: If xRy, then yRx. That is, if x = y + n for some integer n, then y = x - n, which is true for all real numbers. Transitive: If xRy and yRz, then xRz. That is, if x = y + n and y = z + m, then x = z + (n + m). This is also true for all real numbers. Therefore, R is an equivalence relation on A. B. The elements in [1] are 1, 1 + n, where n is any integer. The elements in [1.25] are 1.25, 1.25 + n, where n is any integer. Bonus: The elements in [3.1415] are 3.1415, 3.1415 + n, where n is any integer. The elements in the equivalence class of a generic real number z are z, z + n, where n is any integer.

1. What is an upside down "U" in a set relation proof?

An upside down "U" in a set relation proof is a symbol that represents the intersection of two sets. It indicates the elements that are common to both sets.

2. How do you read an upside down "U" in a set relation proof?

The upside down "U" is read as "intersect" or "intersection". The symbol is placed between two sets to show that the elements in both sets overlap or have something in common.

3. What is the purpose of an upside down "U" in a set relation proof?

The purpose of the upside down "U" is to show the relationship between two sets. It helps to identify the common elements in the sets and is used in mathematical proofs to demonstrate the intersection of sets.

4. How is an upside down "U" different from a regular "U" in a set relation proof?

An upside down "U" represents the intersection of sets, while a regular "U" represents the union of sets. The intersection of sets includes only the elements that are common to both sets, while the union includes all the elements in both sets.

5. Are there any other symbols that can be used in place of an upside down "U" in a set relation proof?

Yes, there are other symbols that can be used in place of an upside down "U" in a set relation proof, such as the letter "n" or the symbol "∩". These symbols all represent the intersection of sets and can be used interchangeably.