What Initial Velocity Ensures a Glass Slides Off a Table with Coulomb Friction?

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum initial velocity for a glass sliding on a table to fall off, with the only force acting on it being Coulomb friction. The equations used are Fcoulomb = -c(dx/dt) and m*d^2x/dt^2) -c(dx/dt) = 0 with differential equations. The friction coefficient is defined as c >0 and there may be another force acting on the glass in the x direction to initiate motion. The problem can also be solved using the v case with an ODE.
kristiakemi

Homework Statement

Consider a glass of mass m starting at x=0 and sliding on a table of LENGTH H. For what initial velocites V(naught) will the glass fall off the table if the only force is Coulomb friction?

Homework Equations

Fcoulomb = -c(dx/dt) where c >0 and is defined as the friction coefficient.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that we need to find the min initial velocity such that the glass just barely falls off. Thus the initital velocitIES will be all those values greater than V(naught). Sum of the Forces in the x direction are : coulomb friction + F(the initial push). Can I solve this system by saying m*d^2x/dt^2) -c(dx/dt) = 0 with differential equations?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, one of the solutions is [itex] c_{1} [/itex], and the other is [itex] c_{2} e^{\frac{c}{m}t} [/itex]

Why do you have F(initial push)? even thought you didn't use it, the problem states only one force acting on the glass.

Last edited:
I think this is where I'm confused: the problem says the only force acting on it is from friction but there must be another force acting on it in the x direction in order for it to begin moving, right? Since the friction is working against the motion, I know that the F(friction)<Fpush...if there is a push?

You don't care about what gave the glass the magnitude of [itex] v(0) [/itex], what you care is to which value of the initial speed, the glass will fall off the table.

Now set the ODE for the v case, too.

By the way, i dosed for a moment, but cv is not Coulomb's friction.

its not? Thats how its defined in my book...it says exactly:

F(friction) = -c(dx/dt) where c is a positive constant (c>0) referred to as the friction coefficient. This force-velocity relationship is called a linear damping force. We can assume that the frictional force is linearly dependent on the velocity. In later sections, exercises will discuss the mathematical solution of problems involving this type of friction, called coulomb friction.

is there another equation that i should know?

kristiakemi said:
its not? Thats how its defined in my book...it says exactly:

F(friction) = -c(dx/dt) where c is a positive constant (c>0) referred to as the friction coefficient. This force-velocity relationship is called a linear damping force. We can assume that the frictional force is linearly dependent on the velocity. In later sections, exercises will discuss the mathematical solution of problems involving this type of friction, called coulomb friction.

is there another equation that i should know?

As far as i know, that's the viscous force (drag for laminar flows). Anyway, since I'm only familiar Coulomb friction (dependent on forces rather than velocity) in the "dry sense" i am not going to argue the book, but it looks odd to me. I'll let this argument rest for other members.

Related to What Initial Velocity Ensures a Glass Slides Off a Table with Coulomb Friction?

1. What is Coulomb friction?

Coulomb friction is a type of friction that occurs between two solid surfaces in contact with each other. It is also known as dry friction or sliding friction.

2. How is Coulomb friction different from other types of friction?

Coulomb friction is different from other types of friction because it only occurs when there is relative motion or tendency for motion between the two surfaces. It also depends on the normal force and the coefficient of friction between the surfaces.

3. What factors affect the strength of Coulomb friction?

The strength of Coulomb friction depends on the normal force between the two surfaces and the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact. It also depends on the materials of the surfaces and the presence of any external forces.

4. How is Coulomb friction calculated?

The force of Coulomb friction can be calculated using the formula F = μ*N, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the surfaces. It is important to note that the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the surfaces in contact and the conditions of the system.

5. How does Coulomb friction affect the motion of an object?

Coulomb friction can either help or hinder the motion of an object. If the force of Coulomb friction is in the opposite direction of the motion, it can slow down or stop the object. On the other hand, if the force of Coulomb friction is in the same direction as the motion, it can help the object move or maintain its velocity.