What inventions (or other wise) use light refraction?

• Thread starter RockenNS42
  • Start date
We learning about light refraction in class the other day and I was just wondering what man made objects used it for and what man made light refraction is used for.

Answers and Replies

atyy
Science Advisor
Spectacles, microscopes, telescopes

All kind of optic devices. A simple lens, for example.

Bob.

A man on The Science Channel said something interesting. Noting that the ability of a lens to focus relies on the light changing speed when it crosses the boundary between two substances, and noting that the eye needs a lens, the man on TV pointed out -- and this is a close paraphrase: "If light traveled at the same speed in all materials, everyone would be blind."

prism , binocluors , beam splitter , gravitational lensing ( bending light around the sun for example) , camera , magnyfing glass , x-ray prisms , cerenkov radiation in a nuclear reactor . x-ray rainbows

Just wanted to thank everyone who's replied so far, I really didn't know it was used to do so much!

A man on The Science Channel said something interesting. Noting that the ability of a lens to focus relies on the light changing speed when it crosses the boundary between two substances, and noting that the eye needs a lens, the man on TV pointed out -- and this is a close paraphrase: "If light traveled at the same speed in all materials, everyone would be blind."
I wonder if somewhere in evolutioniary history some organisms have had eyes which work on the same principle as the pinhole camera.There is no refraction needed with these.

Last edited: