What is a Closed Chain in Transportation Problem Solving?

The closed chain ensures that the goods will be transported in a continuous loop, optimizing the efficiency of the transportation process.
Reekdeb
What is a closed chain (or circuit) that is used in solving a transportation problem (a special type of linear programming problem)? I'm having some problems with it. Please clarify it. I read its definition in a book, but it was not clear. I searched the net, but I failed in finding a definition.

I have posted this on Math.SE as well.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A closed chain is a special type of linear programming problem used in solving transportation problems. It is a network consisting of nodes and arcs that connect the nodes. The nodes represent the origin or destination of goods, and the arcs represent the routes that the goods can take. The problem is to find the optimal route for the goods from the origin to the destination at the lowest cost.

Related to What is a Closed Chain in Transportation Problem Solving?

1. What is a closed chain?

A closed chain is a type of chemical structure where the atoms are connected in a loop, with the last atom connecting back to the first atom. This creates a ring-like structure.

2. What is the significance of a closed chain in organic chemistry?

Closed chains, also known as cyclic compounds, have unique properties and reactivities compared to open chains. They can also form isomers, which are molecules with the same chemical formula but different structures. This allows for a greater diversity of molecules and compounds.

3. How does a closed chain affect the physical properties of a chemical compound?

The presence of a closed chain can affect the boiling point, melting point, and solubility of a compound. This is due to the increased molecular weight and surface area, as well as the presence of intermolecular forces between the atoms in the ring.

4. Can a closed chain be broken to form an open chain?

Yes, a closed chain can be broken through chemical reactions such as hydrolysis or oxidation. This breaks the ring and creates an open chain structure.

5. Are there any real-life applications of closed chains?

Yes, closed chains are found in many natural products and pharmaceutical drugs, such as steroids and terpenes. They also play a role in the structure and function of biomolecules, such as DNA and proteins.