What Is a Force? Definition & Explanation

• Thread starter Michael F. Dmitriyev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, "force" is a concept that has been known for thousands of years and is defined as a certain essence capable of carrying out the motion of objects or preventing their movement. It is always directed towards overcoming other forces and all of its properties have been described by Sir Isaac Newton. However, the question of what exactly force is remains open and debatable in modern physics. It is often defined in terms of the time rate of change of momentum, but there is still debate over whether this accurately captures the essence of force. Ultimately, force is an idea in our heads that helps us explain and predict natural phenomena, but it is not easily defined or understood.
I am sorry, I do not understand what you posted there. The result of a force is a change in space between two objects, is that what you are trying to say?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moe said:
I am sorry, I do not understand what you posted there. The result of a force is a change in space between two objects, is that what you are trying to say?
Yes, that so. This is a single real explanation of a free fall acceleration constancy. It does not depend of mass. It is a property of space-time itself.

But the force of attraction between two objects is very much dependant on their mass.

Moe said:
But the force of attraction between two objects is very much dependant on their mass.
Moe,
It is connected to concepts “internal” and “external” object i.e. with dimensions.
Visit , please , Theory Development Forum. Mentors have moved there my thread "Dimensions".
I would like to continue discussion with you there.

Whether can a photon move mass? Taking into account that increase of object’s temperature corresponds to increase of movement of atoms in object, it is possible to say confidently- yes. We can observe it by the example of the laser or even a microwave. The fried hen or a hole in a sheet of metal convincingly testify – a photons can move atom. What this a force is?

If the photon directly moves atom then it is a carrier of force.
Here a question on existence of such concept as a “primary force” arise .
Any displays of forces can be reduced to an action of a primary force.
Let's assume, you are going on the car.
What a force moves it?

Selected Quote: "But the question “ What is a force? ” remains open on today."

All things and their possible magnitudes can only be comprehened through comparison. Force's essential meaning is it's comparitive property.

"Life is strange," said Jeremy.
"Compared to what?" said the spider.

Force is to compare and quantify the difference between two sensed things by a chosen method. It alone cannot be said to be understood.

omin said:
Selected Quote: "But the question “ What is a force? ” remains open on today."

All things and their possible magnitudes can only be comprehened through comparison. Force's essential meaning is it's comparitive property.

"Life is strange," said Jeremy.
"Compared to what?" said the spider.

Force is to compare and quantify the difference between two sensed things by a chosen method. It alone cannot be said to be understood.
It looks like a philosophical category sooner.
But there should be a physical explanation of this philosophical category.
Comparitive property of quantified force causes various action on various bodies. It is possible to say that a force "analyzed" magnitude of mass.
This explanation is latent in the essence of concept “mass”.

Michael

Qualitative and Quantitative Explanations

Michael F. Dmitriyev said:
But there should be a physical explanation of this philosophical category.

The main difference between a philosophical explanation and a physical explanation is analogous to qualifying and quantifying.

Philosophy uses the humans senses and memory to compare qualities between physical things of the world. An explanation is given by using names to distinguish those things that have general differences. To make the explanation physical or scientific, quantitative means must be used. The measuring stick and scales are brought out.

Does exist any motor without the photons emission?