What is a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme?

In summary, the MS-bar scheme is a mass-independent renormalization scheme that helps us to compute the beta function. This scheme is very intuitive and easy to understand.
Luca_Mantani
Hi everyone,
i'm not able to find the exact definition of mass independent renormalization scheme. I often read that the MS-bar scheme is mass independent, but why? And why this feature help us to compute the beta function?

Thanks in advance,
Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##\overline{\mathrm{MS}}## scheme is defined within dimensional regularization, which is very elegant from the calculational point of view, but it's not very intuitive.

As the most simple example take simple ##\phi^4## theory with the Lagrangian
$$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \phi)(\partial^{\mu} \phi)-\frac{m^2}{2} \phi^2 -\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4,$$
which is renormalizable. The divergent parts are (besides the here not so interesting vacuum diagrams) the self-energy (leading to wave-function and mass renormalization), and the four-point function (leading to coupling-constant renormalization).

The counterterms and the renormalization scheme are thus determined by these divergent pieces. One can write the counter-term Lagrangian in the form
$$\delta \mathcal{L} = \delta Z \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \phi)(\partial^{\mu} \phi) - \frac{1}{2} (\delta m^2 + m^2 \delta Z_m) \phi^2 - \frac{\delta \lambda}{4!} \phi^4.$$
Here the ##\delta Z##, ##\delta Z_m## and ##\delta \lambda## are all dimensionless (i.e., of energy dimension 0). Only ##\delta m^2## has dimension 2.

The most intuitive MIR scheme is defined by introducing a mass scale ##M## as the renormalization scale and define the renormalized quantities by the renormalization conditions
$$\Sigma(p^2=0,m^2=0)=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \delta m^2=0.$$
This is allowed, because that's a quadratically divergent quantity and thus IR safe. So you can define it at ##m^2=0##.

All other divergences are logarithmic and thus cannot be defined at ##m^2=0## and all external momenta at 0. Thus one defines them at ##m^2=M^2##, i.e.,
$$[\partial_{p^2} \Sigma(p^2,m^2)]_{p^2=0,m^2=M^2}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \delta Z,$$
$$[\partial_{m^2} \Sigma(p^2,m^2)]_{p^2=0,m^2=M^2}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \delta Z_m,$$
$$\Gamma^{(4)}(s=t=u=0,m^2=M^2)=-\lambda \; \Rightarrow \; \delta \lambda.$$
All the counter terms are thus only dependent on the renormalization scale ##M^2## via the dimensionless renormalized coupling constant ##\lambda##, but not on ##m^2##. That's why this scheme is a mass-independent renormalization scheme, and you have ##\delta Z=\delta Z(\lambda)##, ##\delta Z_{m}=\delta Z_m(\lambda)##. The RG parameters like ##\beta## don't depend on ##m/M## but only on ##M## through ##\lambda##, and you get a homogeneous RG equation that is not so difficult to solve.

For details, see my QFT manuscript

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Chpt. 5.

The derivation of the ##\beta## function and other RG equation coefficients within the MIR, MS (or ##\overline{\text{MS}}##) scheme in the context of dim. reg. see Sect. 5.11. In Sect. 5.12 also other ("non-MIR") schemes are treated. The corresponding RG equations are more difficult since the RG coefficients do not only depend on the renormalization scale ##M## via the dimensionless renormalized coupling ##\lambda## but also explicitly via ##m/M##.

vanhees71 said:
see my QFT manuscript
Some misprints:

p.129: /2: positron, /8: Coulomb, /middle: hints->it hints, neglects->neglect

p.130: nonuniform capitalizations of 'quantum field theory' - I'd use no capitals at all. /mid: principally->in principle. You should mention that the scheme independence is only after summing all contributions; at low order there may be big differences and the mass scale matters. /-2: nowadays->today's

p.131: /11: loose->lose, /13: especially->in particular

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the explanation! I'll get a look at the lectures but i think i grasped the basic idea behind it, thank you again.

A. Neumaier said:
Some misprints:

p.129: /2: positron, /8: Coulomb, /middle: hints->it hints, neglects->neglect

p.130: nonuniform capitalizations of 'quantum field theory' - I'd use no capitals at all. /mid: principally->in principle. You should mention that the scheme independence is only after summing all contributions; at low order there may be big differences and the mass scale matters. /-2: nowadays->today's

p.131: /11: loose->lose, /13: especially->in particular
Thanks a lot. I corrected all typos. Where would you put the comment on scheme independence? It's of course the point of the RG equations to resum to leading logarithmic order to achieve this (approximate) independence in perturbation theory where it is applicable, i.e., for small coupling.

vanhees71 said:
Where would you put the comment on scheme independence?
On p.130 where you say ''this dependence should change nothing with respect to S-matrix elements'', or perhaps one paragraph later. If necessary with a forward reference to the resumming.

There is still a ''quantum Field theory" and a "quantum Field Theory" alongside the preferable ''quantum field theory". Probably also on other pages.

Thanks again. I hope, now it's better.

1. What is a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme?

A Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme (MIRS) is a mathematical method used in theoretical physics to remove the dependence of a physical quantity on the mass scale of a particle. This allows for a more accurate and consistent calculation of physical phenomena without being affected by the choice of mass scale.

2. How does a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme work?

MIRS works by introducing a new parameter, called the renormalization scale, which represents the energy at which the physical quantity is measured. This scale is then used to rescale the mass parameter in the calculations, eliminating any dependence on the chosen mass scale.

3. Why is a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme important?

MIRS is important because it allows for more precise and reliable calculations in theoretical physics. It removes any ambiguity caused by the choice of mass scale and allows for a more consistent and universal approach to studying physical phenomena.

4. What are the benefits of using a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme?

One of the main benefits of MIRS is that it helps to simplify and streamline calculations in theoretical physics, making them more manageable and efficient. It also allows for a more accurate and reliable prediction of physical phenomena, which is crucial in the development of new theories and models.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Mass Independent Renormalization Scheme?

While MIRS is a useful tool in theoretical physics, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that it may not be suitable for all physical phenomena, and in some cases, alternative renormalization schemes may be more appropriate. Additionally, the choice of renormalization scale can still introduce some uncertainty in the calculations.