Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a second?

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    As the title says what exactly is the defination of a second?

I am very curios about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom

taken from wikipedia. but I remember learning it in physics.

Oh, and its the unit of time...

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    lol why is it that?

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    Well, I guess cause its something consistent that we can measure. They want something that is universally constant in nature.

Its the same with a meter, being defined by distance traveled by light in absolute vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second.

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    But before could they measure the time it took for the radiation or the speed of light?

7. Oct 24, 2008 #6
    Well, the first semi-accurate measurement of time came from pendulums. they had second pendumlums and what not. They also had mechanical clocks which showed seconds and minutes and hours like modern clocks. I doubt they were, but they could have beared a resemblance to modern day grandfather clocks. they based there days off of the ascension of stars.

you can read in depth about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second#History

8. Oct 24, 2008 #7

9. Oct 25, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And the one that you could easily check by yourself before asking...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?