1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a second?

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    As the title says what exactly is the defination of a second?

I am very curios about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom

taken from wikipedia. but I remember learning it in physics.

Oh, and its the unit of time...

4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    lol why is it that?

5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    Well, I guess cause its something consistent that we can measure. They want something that is universally constant in nature.

Its the same with a meter, being defined by distance traveled by light in absolute vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second.

6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    But before could they measure the time it took for the radiation or the speed of light?

7. Oct 24, 2008 #6
    Well, the first semi-accurate measurement of time came from pendulums. they had second pendumlums and what not. They also had mechanical clocks which showed seconds and minutes and hours like modern clocks. I doubt they were, but they could have beared a resemblance to modern day grandfather clocks. they based there days off of the ascension of stars.

you can read in depth about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second#History

8. Oct 24, 2008 #7

9. Oct 25, 2008 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And the one that you could easily check by yourself before asking...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook