What is a short-order cook?

• Thread starter WhiteTim
  • Start date
In summary: I've never been able to order anything but eggs and bacon at a Waffle House, and I've lived near one for years. I think I'm going to have to try it sometime. Thanks for the summary.
WhiteTim
Someone I knew once told me that he was a short-order cook at IHOP. What is the difference between a short-order cook and just a cook?

Physics news on Phys.org
A short order cook makes fast stuff like burgers, fries, etc. A cook prepares actual meals, like a steak, ribs, pasta, etc. An actual cook usually goes to a culinary school.

Welcome to PF, WhiteTim.
Short-order generally implies a high turn-over for rush crowds. Think of a diner at lunch-time. It's fast food, but usually of a higher quality and complexity than something like McDonalds.

edit: Hey, Cyrus. You beat me to it again.

Short order cooks usually just heat and assemble simple ingredients, like cooking a pre-formed hamburger patty and placing it on a bun, it doesn't require the skills or methods required for cooking something that requires mixing and measuring and combining multiple ingredients to create a single dish.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, WhiteTim.
Short-order generally implies a high turn-over for rush crowds. Think of a diner at lunch-time. It's fast food, but usually of a higher quality and complexity than something like McDonalds.

edit: Hey, Cyrus. You beat me to it again.

Thats ok, you said it much more eloquently. PS, stop peaking.

All good answers, WT. If you live near a Waffle House, sit at the counter and order breakfast. You'll see what a good short-order cook can pull off. They are always on the move, and the thing that saves them from burn-out is the limitations of their menus. They can cook for a whole restaurant-full of breakfast fans. Home-fried potatoes, fried or scrambled eggs, corned beef hash, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes... If you only cook simple but tasty foods you can put out an impressive volume of food from a single kitchen. Give those guys enough griddle-space and simple utensils, and watch the magic.

turbo-1 said:
All good answers, WT. If you live near a Waffle House, sit at the counter and order breakfast. You'll see what a good short-order cook can pull off. They are always on the move, and the thing that saves them from burn-out is the limitations of their menus. They can cook for a whole restaurant-full of breakfast fans. Home-fried potatoes, fried or scrambled eggs, corned beef hash, bacon, sausage, biscuits, pancakes... If you only cook simple but tasty foods you can put out an impressive volume of food from a single kitchen. Give those guys enough griddle-space and simple utensils, and watch the magic.

and heart attacks.

Cyrus said:
PS, stop peaking.

:rofl:

You just slay me, man.

Last edited:

1. What is a short-order cook?

A short-order cook is a professional who prepares and cooks food quickly and efficiently, usually in a restaurant setting. They typically work in fast-paced environments and are responsible for cooking a variety of dishes, such as breakfast items, sandwiches, and burgers.

2. What are the main responsibilities of a short-order cook?

The main responsibilities of a short-order cook include preparing and cooking food, maintaining cleanliness and food safety standards in the kitchen, managing inventory and supplies, and ensuring that all orders are completed accurately and in a timely manner.

3. What skills are required to be a successful short-order cook?

Some of the key skills required to be a successful short-order cook include excellent time management, the ability to work well under pressure, strong communication and teamwork skills, and a good understanding of food safety and hygiene practices.

4. Is formal education necessary to become a short-order cook?

Formal education is not always necessary to become a short-order cook. While some employers may prefer candidates with a culinary degree or certificate, many short-order cooks gain their skills through on-the-job training and experience.

5. What is the salary range for a short-order cook?

The salary range for a short-order cook can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and type of establishment. On average, short-order cooks earn around $12-15 per hour, but this can increase with experience and additional responsibilities.