What is an approximate amplitude of a phonon?

In summary, at room temperature, the amplitude of lattice vibrations is on the order of ##\frac 1 2 k_B T## and can be treated as elastic waves in the continuum limit. The energy of each mode is related to the amplitude of the lattice vibration and can be calculated by equating it to the heat capacity of the solid. The total energy of vibrating atoms has 6 degrees of freedom, 3 for kinetic energy and 3 for potential energy.
Karthiksrao
I am aware that phonons are lattice vibrations - and that the amplitude of vibration would depend on the temperature. But say, at room temperature what would the order of magnitude of these lattice vibrations be ?

In particular, in continuum limit these phonons can be treated as elastic waves. So if I have take an incident planar longitudinal elastic wave at a surface, what would I need to take the amplitude of this wave to be ?

I do think that if I equate the energy stored in this wave integrated over all incident angles and frequencies to the heat capacity of the solid - I should be able to find the amplitude of this wave. Is this correct ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out. Each mode will be populated by a number of phonons equal to the phonon occupancy number, each with energy h v, and the energy of each mode can be related to the amplitude of the lattice vibration.

I'm glad that you answered your own question. However, this might help:
Room temperature is well above Debye's temperature for most solids. The energy per degree of freedom is then ##\frac 1 2 k_B T ##

Thanks for the note. I always get confused - what is the relation between a degree of freedom and a mode/state? Are they the same?

For example, in my case, I have (1/2 rho omega^2 Amplitude^2) = n * hbar omega

The left hand side is the energy contained in the elastic wave; and the right hand side is the energy contained by the total number of phonons occupying the state ('n' is occupation number for the frequency omega).

So in terms of degrees of freedom you mentioned, is it just that (1/2 rho omega^2 Amplitude^2) = 1/2 k_B T ?

Thanks

Total energy of vibrating atoms is kinetic and potential. Kinetic is a function of momentum that has 3 components - 3 degrees of freedom. Potential is a function of displacement, again in 3 dimensions - 3 degrees of freedom. Total is 6 degrees of freedom. So, in a simple, Einstein model ## \frac 1 2 \kappa x^2 = \frac 1 2 k_B T## where ##\kappa ## is the 'spring' constant.

What is an approximate amplitude of a phonon?

The approximate amplitude of a phonon is a measure of the maximum displacement of an atom in a crystal lattice from its equilibrium position due to the presence of a phonon. It is typically expressed in units of distance, such as nanometers or angstroms.

How is the approximate amplitude of a phonon related to its frequency?

In general, the approximate amplitude of a phonon is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that phonons with higher frequencies will have smaller amplitudes, while phonons with lower frequencies will have larger amplitudes.

What factors can affect the approximate amplitude of a phonon?

The approximate amplitude of a phonon can be affected by various factors, including the temperature of the material, the strength of the interatomic bonds, and the size of the crystal lattice. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities in the material can also impact the amplitude of phonons.

Why is the approximate amplitude of a phonon important in materials science?

The approximate amplitude of a phonon is an important concept in materials science because it can affect the thermal and mechanical properties of materials. Understanding the amplitude of phonons can help researchers design and manipulate materials with desired properties, such as thermal conductivity or strength.

Can the approximate amplitude of a phonon be directly measured?

No, the approximate amplitude of a phonon cannot be directly measured. Instead, it is typically calculated using theoretical models and experimental data, such as measurements of the phonon's frequency and the material's physical properties. These calculations can give an estimate of the approximate amplitude of a phonon in a given material.