What is Current? I know it is a scalar but I found something weird....

In summary: I get the result as a vector.In summary, current is a vector quantity that has a direction due to the movement of the charge on the wire.
Austin 30
While I was going through "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffith I see the line "Current is a vector quantity". But we know it doesn't obey the vector algebra (addition ). Then how it can be a vector?... Please help me

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_125112.jpg
    IMG_20190320_125112.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the charge on a particle (a scalar) times its velocity (a vector), so is a vector. You may sum over multiple charged particles (and we often do), but the result is still a vector.

Are you thinking of circuit analysis? The laws describing current in circuits do not treat current as a vector, true. But that's because they just treat the circuit as an abstract collection of lines and junctions that current flows along - they don't explicitly model the electromagnetic interactions that make the current follow the wires. Here, Griffiths is not using such high-level abstraction.

Austin 30 said:
While I was going through "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffith I see the line "Current is a vector quantity". But we know it doesn't obey the vector algebra (addition ). Then how it can be a vector?... Please help me

What do you mean that it doesn't obey vector addition?

Current is a flow of charge. By definition, flow has a direction, hence is a vector.

PeroK said:
What do you mean that it doesn't obey vector addition?

Current is a flow of charge. By definition, flow has a direction, hence is a vector.
No..no...the full definition of vector is ...it should follow vector algebra...and It doesn't... example suppose you have 2 wires , with angle θ then the total current in the added wire should i^2 = (i1)^2+(i2)^2+2(i1)(i2)cosθ ..but as we know it is just i1+i2

Attachments

• 15530730394068459471978939848039.jpg
    15530730394068459471978939848039.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 453
Austin 30 said:
No..no...the full definition of vector is ...it should follow vector algebra...and It doesn't... example suppose you have 2 wires , with angle θ then the total current in the added wire should i^2 = (i1)^2+(i2)^2+2(i1)(i2)cosθ ..but as we know it is just i1+i2
Did you read @Ibix's reply?
Ibix said:
Are you thinking of circuit analysis? The laws describing current in circuits do not treat current as a vector, true. But that's because they just treat the circuit as an abstract collection of lines and junctions that current flows along - they don't explicitly model the electromagnetic interactions that make the current follow the wires. Here, Griffiths is not using such high-level abstraction.
The wire makes the direction of the current change, so you can't blindly use vector summation in that case.

Ibix said:
Current is the charge on a particle (a scalar) times its velocity (a vector), so is a vector. You may sum over multiple charged particles (and we often do), but the result is still a vector.

Sir, can you please tell me "that's because they just treat the circuit as an abstract collection of lines " this one.. if we assume the cirvuci as collccolle of lines then how the vector is turned into scalar?...as far i know they assurm the quantity as scalar as it doesn't obey Vector addition rule.

DrClaude said:
Did you read @Ibix's reply?

The wire makes the direction of the current change, so you can't blindly use vector summation in that case.
Sir the in case of a planar conductor it should obey vector addition??...but practically it doesn't obey there also

The current inside wires is treated as a scalar because it is easier to work this way. In reality, it is a vector quantity that is always parallel to the wire, so there is not point in keeping track of the direction if it keeps changing but always follows the wire.

Take as an analogy a marble rolling in a bent tube. The velocity vector of a marble changes as it goes along the tube, but (neglecting friction), its speed is constant, so it makes sense to treat the problem using speed (a scalar) instead of velocity (a vector).

Likes Austin 30
DrClaude said:
The current inside wires is treated as a scalar because it is easier to work this way. In reality, it is a vector quantity that is always parallel to the wire, so there is not point in keeping track of the direction if it keeps changing but always follows the wire.

Take as an analogy a marble rolling in a bent tube. The velocity vector of a marble changes as it goes along the tube, but (neglecting friction), its speed is constant, so it makes sense to treat the problem using speed (a scalar) instead of velocity (a vector).
According to the Analogy it works as there if I use 2 balls then angle between them is 0° or 180° thatst why normal scalar addition works...but in this case there is a general angle θ so it will not work

Here is what it looks like using your example of two wires joining into one.
current.jpg

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 501
Austin 30 said:
According to the Analogy it works as there if I use 2 balls then angle between them is 0° or 180° thatst why normal scalar addition works...but in this case there is a general angle θ so it will not work
Don't take the analogy too far. It doesn't work for colliding balls.

Austin 30 said:
Sir the in case of a planar conductor it should obey vector addition??...but practically it doesn't obey there also

Well, put simply, you ain't going to get far with electromagnetism if you persist with the idea that current is a scalar!

It's like saying velocity is a scalar because you've studied some 1D problems. A circuit is, essentially, a 1D set up, where the current is constrained to a 1D path. In general, in a 3D object, the current can flow in any direction.

Last edited:
I must say that I disagree with my colleagues and with Griffith.

Current density is a vector, but current is a scalar. As the OP correctly points out current does not follow the rules of vector addition. Also, in circuit theory there is no space so there are no directions, so there can be no vectors for any quantities in circuit theory.

What Dr. Griffith has actually written is the current density rather than the current. The current scalar is related to the current density vector by ##I=\int \mathbf{J}\cdot d\mathbf A##

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, jasonRF and DrClaude
Dale said:
What Dr. Griffith has actually written is the current density rather than the current. The current scalar is related to the current density vector by ##I=\int \mathbf{J}\cdot d\mathbf A##
Trying to make sure I understand what you are laying down. For you, "current" would denote the signed magnitude of the rate of flow of charge through a defined surface. Where the "surface" could be a cross-section slicing through a current-carrying wire, for instance. Or the back side of a CRT screen being bombarded by electrons. Or even the boundary enclosing a cubical volume of electrolyte (through which we would expect the net flow to be zero always).

In all cases the surface has a direction -- a front and a back (or an inside and an outside). So the current is signed. We can distinguish between +1 amp (net current flowing in the back side) and -1 amp (net current flowing in the front side).

Dale said:
The current scalar is related to the current density vector by ##I=\int \mathbf{J}\cdot d\mathbf A##

I'd call that a "pseudo-scalar", because its sign depends on a convention for which direction is considered "positive".

Likes Dale and weirdoguy
jbriggs444 said:
Trying to make sure I understand what you are laying down. For you, "current" would denote the signed magnitude of the rate of flow of charge through a defined surface. Where the "surface" could be a cross-section slicing through a current-carrying wire, for instance. Or the back side of a CRT screen being bombarded by electrons. Or even the boundary enclosing a cubical volume of electrolyte (through which we would expect the net flow to be zero always).

In all cases the surface has a direction -- a front and a back (or an inside and an outside). So the current is signed. We can distinguish between +1 amp (net current flowing in the back side) and -1 amp (net current flowing in the front side).
Yes, exactly. The vector ##d\mathbf A## has a direction and when ##\mathbf J## is in the same direction then ##I## is positive and vice versa if they are in opposite directions.

Dale said:
I must say that I disagree with my colleagues and with Griffith.

Current density is a vector, but current is a scalar. As the OP correctly points out current does not follow the rules of vector addition. Also, in circuit theory there is no space so there are no directions, so there can be no vectors for any quantities in circuit theory.

Interesting. Perhaps this isn't as simple as it first looks.

If current is a scalar, then current density ought to be a scalar too. Hmm?

Suppose we leave the known terminology to one side. We start with a quantity, which we simply call ##\vec{J}## and which has dimensions of charge-velocity/volume.

If we model a wire as a 3D object with uniform cross section, ##A##, then we can define a quantity which we call ##\vec{I}## by:

##\vec{I} = A\vec{J}##

##\vec{I}## has units of charge-velocity/length.

Now, Griffiths defines the current as ##\vec{I}## and you define the current as ##I = |\vec{I}|##.

And everyone is happy?

PS It seems to me that ##\vec{J}## is misnamed as "current density" in either case, although more of a misnomer if current is a scalar!

PeroK said:
Now, Griffiths defines the current as →II→\vec{I} and you define the current as I=|→I|I=|I→|I = |\vec{I}|.
Currents in my definition can be negative. This definition is strictly non negative.

Last edited:
stevendaryl said:
I'd call that a "pseudo-scalar", because its sign depends on a convention for which direction is considered "positive".

If I remember correctly, when I was at school the nomenclature for current changed. Originally termed vectors in the literature it was changed to phasor for exactly the reasons given above.

Cheers

Dale said:
Currents in my definition can be negative. This definition is strictly non negative.

Yes, of course, it's ##\vec{J} \cdot \vec{A}## in your case.

Likes Dale
Hm, Griffiths seems to be quite sloppy in his textbooks leading to confusion of his readers, although I consider his textbook on electrodynamics as pretty good. The quantum textbook is much worse in this respect :-(.

1. What is current and how is it defined?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is defined as the rate at which electric charge passes through a given point in a circuit, measured in amperes (A).

2. Is current a scalar or a vector quantity?

Current is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. This is because it is only concerned with the flow of charge and not the direction in which it is flowing.

3. How is current measured in a circuit?

Current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the amount of current flowing through the circuit at a specific point.

4. Can current be negative?

Yes, current can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the flow of electrons is opposite to the direction of conventional current (from positive to negative). In this case, the magnitude of the current is still positive, but the direction is negative.

5. What is the relationship between current and voltage?

Current and voltage are directly proportional to each other, according to Ohm's Law. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa. However, the relationship between current and voltage can be affected by the resistance of the circuit.