Understanding Energy Levels and Transitions in Magnetic Fields

In summary: The transition is from L = 1 to L = 0. There is no L = 2. Draw an energy level diagram. How many levels (total) do you have? How many possible transitions you have? What is the energy separation between energy levels before the atom is placed in the magnetic field? What is the energy separation between energy levels after the atom is placed in the magnetic field??In summary,Don't know how to relate the equations.
ABlibo
Homework Statement
I need help in solving this problem.
An atom escaped with L=1 emits photon with wavelength 600nm as it decays to a state with L=0. If the atom is placed in a magnetic field of magnitude 2.00T determine the shift in the energy levels and the wavelength and the atoms orbital magnetic field.
Thanks for any help.
Relevant Equations
interaction energy = mL*B*Ub
Ub=magnetic moment
B=magnetic field
mL=angular momentum.
PE= -U*B
U=magnetic dipole moment
Don't know how to relate the equations.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
I understand the formula well but problem now is how to assign the mL values. For L=1 we'll have 3 mL values as -1 0 +1 and L=2 we'll have 5 mL values as -2 -1 0 +1 +2. How then do I represent them in the formula to get the final solution? Thanks for your help.

The transition is from L = 1 to L = 0. There is no L = 2. Draw an energy level diagram. How many levels (total) do you have? How many possible transitions do you have? What is the energy separation between energy levels before the atom is placed in the magnetic field? What is the energy separation between energy levels after the atom is placed in the magnetic field??

Likes ABlibo
kuruman said:
The transition is from L = 1 to L = 0. There is no L = 2. Draw an energy level diagram. How many levels (total) do you have? How many possible transitions do you have? What is the energy separation between energy levels before the atom is placed in the magnetic field? What is the energy separation between energy levels after the atom is placed in the magnetic field??
Thanks for the correction. I understand the step by step break down of the whole process. I'll now do the maths.

kuruman said:
Thanks for the correction. I understand the step by step break down of the whole process. I'll now do the maths.

Related to Understanding Energy Levels and Transitions in Magnetic Fields

1. What is interaction energy?

Interaction energy is the potential energy that exists between two or more particles or systems due to their interactions. It is a measure of the strength of the forces between these particles or systems and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How is interaction energy calculated?

Interaction energy is typically calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the distance between the particles or systems, as well as the type of forces involved. The most common equations used are the Lennard-Jones potential and the Coulomb potential.

3. What factors affect interaction energy?

The factors that can affect interaction energy include the distance between particles, the types of forces involved (such as van der Waals, electrostatic, or hydrogen bonding), and the properties of the particles themselves (such as charge or polarity).

4. How does interaction energy impact chemical reactions?

Interaction energy plays a crucial role in chemical reactions, as it determines the strength of the bonds between atoms and molecules. The stronger the interaction energy, the more stable the bonds and the less likely a reaction will occur. In contrast, weaker interaction energy can lead to more reactive and unstable compounds.

5. Can interaction energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, interaction energy can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and computational simulations. These methods allow scientists to directly observe and measure the forces between particles and systems, providing valuable insights into their interactions and behaviors.