What is it that QM addresses?

• I
  • Thread starter entropy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary: What about it didn't you understand?This question is way too general for a PF thread.The OP has been sufficiently addressed. Thread closed.
entropy1
Is the measurement problem in QM addressed and solved by now?

If not, can we speak of QM as a description of reality?

Given the statistical nature of QM, can we say it predicts reality?

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this topic yourself?

What about it didn't you understand?

Vanadium 50 said:
What research have you done on this topic yourself?
Only Leonard Susskind yet. Maybe I will study more.
Vanadium 50 said:
What about it didn't you understand?
I am wondering how there can be measurement outcomes if there is no collapse.

You're not helping yourself. You wrote four vague questions ("What is it that QM addresses?" is something textbooks are written on), and when pressed on what you didn't understand, posted a fifth one.

You have to do some work on this.

Likes phinds
Vanadium 50 said:
You have to do some work on this.
So, there is no simple answer. Except for the answer that nobody knows, I understand. (as PF is another source of my information)

I am not sure if I will study QM in depth for I doubt I am able. So it seems I am not qualified to ask the kind of questions I did.

Topic may be closed if no one has any contribution to make to it.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:

Nope, it is an on-going discussion.

entropy1 said:

StevieTNZ said:
Nope, it is an on-going discussion.
This is from the review article cited below
The dynamics of finite dimensional quantum system, as described in the previous section, is recurrent [99-103] and time reversal invariant. Hence, genuine equilibration in the sense [..] that entropy can only grow over time is impossible.

It makes one wonder why they are still trying to do the impossible. Unitary time-reversible evolution is NOT what is driving the dynamics.

Equilibration, thermalisation, and the emergence of statistical mechanics in closed quantum systems

Christian Gogolin and Jens Eisert

Likes entropy1
entropy1 said:

No. As @StevieTNZ said, it's an ongoing area of research.

entropy1 said:
If not, can we speak of QM as a description of reality?

Given the statistical nature of QM, can we say it predicts reality?

These questions aren't questions about physics, since "reality" is not a physics term, it's a philosophy (or metaphysics, if you like) term. So they're off topic here.

entropy1 said:

This question is way too general for a PF thread.

The OP has been sufficiently addressed. Thread closed.

1. What is quantum mechanics (QM)?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It describes how these particles interact and how their properties, such as position and momentum, are measured and predicted.

2. How does quantum mechanics address the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics addresses the behavior of particles by using mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the probability of a particle being in a certain state or location. It also takes into account the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

3. What problems does quantum mechanics address?

Quantum mechanics addresses many problems, including the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels, the nature of light and electromagnetic radiation, and the properties of matter, such as energy levels and spin.

4. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level, while classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects. It also introduces probabilistic behavior and the concept of uncertainty, which are not present in classical mechanics.

5. How does quantum mechanics relate to other branches of science?

Quantum mechanics has many applications in other branches of science, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It helps explain the behavior of atoms and molecules, which are essential to understanding chemical reactions and biological processes. In engineering, quantum mechanics is used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and nanotechnology.