What is its speed in m/s when x = 8.00m

• Thread starter gijungkim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the given graph shows the force on a 0.500 kg particle varying with position. The particle has a speed of 2.23 m/s at x = 2.00 m. Using the equations for kinetic energy and work, it is determined that the correct final speed of the particle at x = 8.00 m should be 14.5 m/s. However, the given answer of 15.0 m/s may be due to rounding errors or incorrect assumptions in the question.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

The graph below shows how the force on a 0.500 kg particle varies with position. If the particle has speed https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://92193C91-FD4D-4A2B-AE3A-A915237F9B1D/x-apple-ql-magic/4C0641E9-916A-4CAB-8E8F-A20E6CE7E040.pdf at x = 2.00 m, what is its speed in m/s when x = 8.00 m?
Have a picture

Homework Equations

KE = 0.5m*vf^2 - 0.5 m*vi^2
W = F * d

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I basically did was to get an area of the graph because it will be F * d. After getting an area (work) I assumed that I could use KE equation like
KE = 0.5m*vf^2 - 0.5 m*vi^2 = 51J
Then I got Vf as 14.5m/s. However, the answer is 15.0 m/s. Can anyone help me what I did wrong here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like rounding off to me.

Likes gijungkim
Are the answers reliable? I got somewhere around 14.5 as well

Likes gijungkim
You get the answer 15.0 if you take the work exerted on the particle until x=8 to be 55 (so including the x=0 till x=2 part) . But I think your calculation is actually the correct one and the answer given is wrong..

Likes gijungkim
Get the same result as you do. The 15 m/s comes out when you do ##\Delta{\rm KE} = 55 = {\tfrac 1 2} mv_f^2 - {\tfrac 1 2} m\;2.23^2, \ ## and I really see no reason to use 55 instead of 51 J.

Especially since the particle can't have been released (with a small nudge) at x = 0, since the same calculation then gives 4 m/s at x = 2.

I thought about starting off at some point with a negative speed, but the calculation you did is valid, no matter what happens before, so I'm puzzled o_O ?!

Likes gijungkim
Yeah, the work exerted on the particle before the velocity measurement cannot have contributed to the increase of velocity after the measurement. So the answer given is just wrong..

Likes gijungkim
Abtinnn said:
Are the answers reliable? I got somewhere around 14.5 as well
I just found these questions from the internet so it's not 100 percent reliable haha

BvU said:
Get the same result as you do. The 15 m/s comes out when you do ##\Delta{\rm KE} = 55 = {\tfrac 1 2} mv_f^2 - {\tfrac 1 2} m\;2.23^2, \ ## and I really see no reason to use 55 instead of 51 J.

Especially since the particle can't have been released (with a small nudge) at x = 0, since the same calculation then gives 4 m/s at x = 2.

I thought about starting off at some point with a negative speed, but the calculation you did is valid, no matter what happens before, so I'm puzzled o_O ?!
Haha I think the answer is just wrong! Thank you for helping me out though! :)

Simon Bridge said:
Looks like rounding off to me.
So 14.8 is wrong and 15 is correct ? We all end up at 14.5 !

So 14.8 is wrong and 15 is correct ? We all end up at 14.5 !
If you insist. But all things considered, it looks like the "correct" answer is in fact incorrect.
Appearances can be deceiving.

Actually the answer given is correct when rounding 14.999 to three sig fig. Work is area under curve of force vs position graph. Setting 55 = 1/2mVf^2 - 1/2mVi^2. When working with five sig figs for calculations (this comes from squaring the velocity) your answer will be 14.999 m/s => 15.0 m/s

ChrisGeophysics said:
Actually the answer given is correct when rounding 14.999 to three sig fig. Work is area under curve of force vs position graph. Setting 55 = 1/2mVf^2 - 1/2mVi^2. When working with five sig figs for calculations (this comes from squaring the velocity) your answer will be 14.999 m/s => 15.0 m/s
Read the question carefully. It says from x=2, not x=0. The work done is only 51J.

Likes ChrisGeophysics
Haruspex, you are correct. I made a poor assumption that the graph continued to (0,0) for I had just seen and assigned this question. Thank you. The correct work is 51J as you stated, which results in a final velocity of 14.456 m/s ==> 14.5 m/s.

This this the given graph:

image-jpg.80862.jpg

At a position of about x = 1.660 m, the particle has a kinetic energy of zero. It will never be to to the left of that under the influence of this as the net force. To do so would imply negative kinetic energy, and thus an imaginary speed.

SammyS said:
This this the given graph:

At a position of about x = 1.660 m, the particle has a kinetic energy of zero. It will never be to to the left of that under the influence of this as the net force. To do so would imply negative kinetic energy, and thus an imaginary speed.
That helps narrow down the error in the question. Most likely it was supposed to say the given speed is at x=0. The only other I can think of is that the initial speed should have been given as 2.83, making the answer (c).

1. What does "x = 8.00m" mean in this context?

In this context, "x = 8.00m" refers to a specific distance or position along the object's path or trajectory. It is likely a variable in an equation that is being used to calculate the object's speed.

2. How is speed different from velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably in everyday language, but in physics, they have distinct meanings. Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed of an object in a specific direction. So while an object's speed may be 10 m/s, its velocity could be 10 m/s south.

3. Why is speed expressed in meters per second (m/s)?

In the International System of Units (SI), the standard unit for speed is meters per second (m/s). This is because it is a derived unit, meaning it is based on more fundamental units like distance (meters) and time (seconds). Other commonly used units for speed include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

4. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. So if an object travels 8 meters in 2 seconds, its speed would be 4 m/s (8m/2s = 4 m/s).

5. How is speed measured in real-life situations?

Speed can be measured using various instruments, such as a speedometer in a car or a radar gun used by law enforcement. In scientific experiments, speed can be measured using timers and motion sensors. In everyday life, speed can also be estimated by measuring the distance an object travels over a certain amount of time.