Exploring the Nature of Light and Baryonic Matter in Space

• Thread starter WCOLtd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: When you have two protons vs. one neutron, the neutron has a slightly higher binding energy. This results in He4 having a slightly lower mass.
WCOLtd
I was thinking about light and baryonic matter.

My understanding is that stars emit light by essentially converting their rest-mass energy into light energy according to the equation E = Mc2.

I wonder though, does light travel into the depths of space forever? (meaning total baryonic matter would decrease with time) or is light soley an interaction between masses?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Total mass does decrease with time, although the number of baryons remains the same. For example He4 has slightly less mass than 4 x H1. However there are theories predicting proton decay, but this has never been experimentally verified.

so the rate at which mass decays into radiation is greater than the rate at which decayed radiation is re-absorbed into matter.

WCOLtd said:
so the rate at which mass decays into radiation is greater than the rate at which decayed radiation is re-absorbed into matter.
I am not sure what you are trying to get at. Essentially almost all of the radiation in the universe (stars) results from fusion processes - the most important being 4 H1 to He4. These processes are extreemly unlikely to reverse.

As a result the radiation spreads throughout the universe, including keeping life on earth. Some of it gets reabsorbed by matter in CHEMICAL reactions, not nuclear. Most of it just keeps going and heating things up.

well think of light as photons and waves. Light will go on until it is absorbed by some form of matter.

i think light is a photon particle which is emited out of the sun in a nuclear fussion of the hydrogen and helium atoms in the sun
when these to highly charged atoms collide they release a higly charged proton this proton thravels in intense speed which emits light particles
i honestly don't know how those particles glow
please answer :)

varun19 said:
i think light is a photon particle which is emited out of the sun in a nuclear fussion of the hydrogen and helium atoms in the sun
when these to highly charged atoms collide they release a higly charged proton this proton thravels in intense speed which emits light particles
please answer :)

Photons emitted by the fusion process are not in the visible light energy range. They only very slowly work their way out to the photosphere. The number I recall is something like 10,000 yrs for a photon created in the center of the sun to find its way out to the suns surface. The visible light we receive is emitted by the photosphere which comprise only the very outer most layers of the sun.

Photons do not "glow". Each one has an energy, which we perceive as color, that is determined by the source of the photon.

these to highly charged atoms collide they release a highly charged proton this proton travels in intense speed which emits light particles

To the best of my knowledge this is not a valid description.

Integral said:
The number I recall is something like 10,000 yrs for a photon created in the center of the sun to find its way out to the suns surface.

I seem to remember something on the order of 100,000 yrs. Still, ridiculously long!

varun19 said:
a higly charged proton this proton thravels in intense speed which emits light particles

When a charged particle like an electron or proton accelerates or decelerates, it will give off electromagnetic radiation. This is what is done in radio broadcasting. If the electromagnetic radiation has wavelengths between 400 nm to 700 nm, it will be in the visible range, and we call it "light". But often "light" is used as a short hand for all electromagnetic radiation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio

Last edited:
He4 has 2protons /2neutons .4xH1=4p.how has he4 got less mass when mass-p<mass-n?

johnpeel said:
He4 has 2protons /2neutons .4xH1=4p.how has he4 got less mass when mass-p<mass-n?

The difference in mass is the binding energy which holds the He4 nucleus together.

1. What is the nature of light in space?

Light in space is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. It consists of particles called photons, which have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. How does light interact with baryonic matter in space?

Light can interact with baryonic matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and scattering. When light passes through matter, it can be absorbed by the atoms and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat. It can also be reflected off of the surface of matter, and scattered in different directions depending on the properties of the matter.

3. What is the significance of studying light and baryonic matter in space?

Studying light and baryonic matter in space can provide valuable insights into the composition and structure of the universe. By analyzing the way that light interacts with matter, scientists can learn about the properties of different types of matter and how they are distributed throughout the universe. This information can help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

4. How do scientists study light and baryonic matter in space?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study light and baryonic matter in space. These include telescopes, spectroscopy, and computer simulations. Telescopes allow us to observe and collect data from distant objects in space, while spectroscopy allows us to analyze the light emitted or absorbed by these objects. Computer simulations can also help us model and understand the behavior of light and matter in space.

5. What are some current research topics related to light and baryonic matter in space?

Some current research topics in this field include studying the properties of dark matter and dark energy, understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies, and investigating the effects of cosmic rays on the interstellar medium. Scientists are also studying the behavior of light in extreme environments, such as near black holes and in the early universe, to gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.