What is magnetic field made up of?

In summary, magnetic field is made up of (positive and negative charges, magnetic domains, flux lines, magnetic poles).
Zheng_

Homework Statement

A magnetic field is made up of

A) positive and negative charges.

B) magnetic domains.

C) flux lines.

D) magnetic poles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought magnetic field is made up of.. nothing ? Or does it mean 'What does magnetic field produced by'?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question does not make sense as it stands. The magnetic field is a fundamental entity in classical electrodynamics.

Is this an actual homework problem? If so, I'd say 3 of the options are not the magnetic field itself, but something else.

Likes Zheng_
Yes. And it's also a question of previous years exam.

That why I'm so confused about what does it mean.

Drakkith said:
Is this an actual homework problem? If so, I'd say 3 of the options are not the magnetic field itself, but something else.
I would say none of the options make sense. This is a question written by someone who does not know what they are doing.

Likes Drakkith
Orodruin said:
I would say none of the options make sense. This is a question written by someone who does not know what they are doing.
Ok thanks for the help. I guess I will ask my teacher on the next class.

Drakkith said:
Yes. And it's also a question from previous years exam.

Just to be clear here. I suspect the answer your teacher wants is "magnetic field lines" (the others are sources for the magnetic field). This is about as accurate as saying that a force is made up of a vector arrow (i.e., not accurate at all). Vector arrows and field lines are visual/mathematical (depending on whether we just use the picture or also the maths) tools that we use to visualise and describe the concepts of forces and fields, they are not what the forces/fields are made up from in any way.

Likes Zheng_

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space around a magnet or electric current in which a magnetic force can be felt. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a magnetic field made up of?

A magnetic field is made up of invisible lines of force called magnetic field lines. These lines are created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, within a magnetic material.

3. What materials can produce a magnetic field?

Materials that contain permanent magnets, like iron, nickel, and cobalt, can produce a magnetic field. Electrically charged particles, such as electrons, moving through a wire can also produce a magnetic field.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field is also dependent on the distance from the source of the field.

5. Can magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials, such as iron or steel. These materials redirect the magnetic field lines away from the protected area, reducing the strength of the magnetic field within that space.