What is Maxwell Distribution, Thermal Equilibrium, Fluctuation and Wein's law?

In summary, Maxwell Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature, while Thermal Equilibrium is a state in which two objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net flow of heat between them. Fluctuations refer to the random changes or variations in a physical quantity, and Wein's Law relates the wavelength of maximum emission of a black body to its temperature. These concepts are all interconnected and essential in understanding thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.
SMarioKingdom
I was reading a book, 'Introducing Quantum Theory' by J.P.McEvoy, and I find it difficult to understand in details of Maxwell Distribution, Thermal Equilibrium, Fluctuation, Wein's law and Planck's quantum theory, so I am finding it difficult to follow Einstein's explanation of photoelectric effect. Can someone explain the following things I listed above, from scratch to top, including the explanation of graphs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen this? https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Last edited by a moderator:
OK My question was too vague. I will ask much more specific question.

What is Maxwell Distribution?

Maxwell Distribution, also known as Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution, is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It states that at a given temperature, most particles will have a certain average speed, with a small percentage having higher or lower speeds. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

What is Thermal Equilibrium?

Thermal Equilibrium is a state in which two objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net flow of heat between them. This means that the thermal energy of the two objects is balanced and there is no transfer of energy in the form of heat. In this state, the objects are said to be in thermal equilibrium with each other.

What are Fluctuations?

Fluctuations refer to the random changes or variations in a physical quantity, such as temperature, pressure, or energy, over time. In the context of thermodynamics, fluctuations are natural and occur due to the constant movement and collisions of particles in a system. They can be described and predicted using statistical mechanics.

What is Wein's Law?

Wein's Law, also known as the Wien Displacement Law, is an equation that relates the wavelength of maximum emission of a black body to its temperature. It states that the product of the wavelength and the temperature is a constant, known as Wien's displacement constant. This law is important in understanding the emission spectrum of a black body and has applications in astrophysics and cosmology.

How are these concepts related?

Maxwell Distribution, Thermal Equilibrium, Fluctuations, and Wein's Law are all related to the study of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Maxwell Distribution describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas, which is affected by thermal equilibrium and fluctuations. Wein's Law is related to the thermal radiation emitted by a black body, which is also affected by thermal equilibrium and fluctuations. These concepts are all interconnected and are essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems at a microscopic level.