What is mole fraction solubility?

In summary, mole fraction solubility is a measure of the solubility of a substance in a solution, and it is calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the total number of moles of solute and solvent. However, there is some discrepancy in the given answer of 8.98 x 10^-4, as both the original poster and another person were unable to reproduce it. There may be an error in the answer.
jayadds
As asked above, what is mole fraction solubility? From what I've been taught, it is the following equation:

mole fraction solubility = (number of moles of solute)/(number of moles of solute + number of moles of solvent)

Is that even correct?

In actual fact, there's a question that deals with this problem. I've attached it for you to see. I've attempted it several times but I can't seem to reach the answer which is supposedly
8.98 x 10^-4

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 5.35.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 5.35.11 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,810
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Definition looks logical, even if it is the first time I hear about it.

And I am unable to reproduce the result as well, I got solubility almost exactly 6 times lower.

Borek said:
Definition looks logical, even if it is the first time I hear about it.

And I am unable to reproduce the result as well, I got solubility almost exactly 6 times lower.

Thank you for confirming it with me. I also had a value that was considerably lower as well. The answer may be incorrect then.

What is mole fraction solubility?

Mole fraction solubility refers to the ratio of the moles of a substance that can be dissolved in a particular solvent to the total moles of both the solvent and the substance. It is a measure of a substance's ability to dissolve in a given solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

How is mole fraction solubility calculated?

Mole fraction solubility can be calculated by dividing the moles of the substance by the total moles of both the solvent and the substance. This can be represented by the equation X = n(substance)/n(total), where X is the mole fraction solubility, n(substance) is the number of moles of the substance, and n(total) is the total number of moles.

What is the significance of mole fraction solubility?

Mole fraction solubility is an important factor in determining the solubility of a substance in a given solvent. It can help predict how much of a substance can be dissolved in a particular solvent and at what temperature and pressure. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and in the development of new materials.

How does temperature affect mole fraction solubility?

Generally, as temperature increases, the mole fraction solubility of a substance in a given solvent also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules of the solvent to overcome the attractive forces between the solute molecules, making it easier for the solute to dissolve. However, there are exceptions to this trend, depending on the specific solute-solvent system.

What are some factors that can affect mole fraction solubility?

Some factors that can affect mole fraction solubility include temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. For example, polar solvents tend to have higher mole fraction solubility for polar solutes compared to nonpolar solutes. Additionally, the presence of other substances in the solvent can also affect the mole fraction solubility of a substance.