What is negative electric potential energy?

In summary, negative electric potential energy refers to a situation where the potential energy of a charged particle is below a predetermined reference point, resulting in a deficit of energy that must be made up in order to reach the reference point. This concept is relative and can be seen as a matter of convenience to represent confinement. Negative kinetic energy is not possible according to textbook definitions.
matt85
I am trying to get this concept, but I can't figure out what exactly this means. Can anyone explain what it means if something has negative electric potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
matt85 said:
I am trying to get this concept, but I can't figure out what exactly this means. Can anyone explain what it means if something has negative electric potential energy?

Do you understand negative gravitational potential energy then?

Zz.

Does it just mean that it is surrounded by a negative potential? I'm pretty lost on this concept overall. I have never dealt with negative potential energy before.

Potential energy is relative. Relative to some datum where the potential energy is zero. If you add work to the charge to move it against the forces (from fields), you are increasing its potential energy with respect to that datum. If you extract potential energy from the charge by letting it fall with the force, then the potential energy is getting lower than the datum value, and hence negative. Just remember that potential energy is with respect to a datum. Think about ZapperZ's question in this context, and think about the tradeoff between potential energy and kinetic energy, for example.

Thanks for the help.

We usually think of (gravitational) potential energy at the Earth's surface to be zero. If we raise an object we consider it to have gained potential energy because we did work against the force of gravity. But dig a hole on the beach and move the object into it and it's now at negative potential to where it was at the Earth's surface. It's all relative.

Energy is a concept for which only the differences between two well specified situations play relevant part. Force, for instantce, is defined as the spatial derivative of energy, which clearly means that global addition of a certain fixed amount of energy will cause no physical result.

Nevertheless, as we can always sum a constant value to the energies of all positions (potential energies in the case of a conservative field) we may, for convenience, decide to attatch negative values of energy to those situations where the particle is confined and positive energy to non confined states.
Therefore, if in a pure gravitational situation, a particle have total energy negative, then it means that there will be a moment where all the energy will be in the form of potential energy due to gravitational force and the it will be at rest and/or at a limited distance from the gravitational center.
But if the particle have zero or positive total energy then, even subjected to the gravitational pull, the particle will be likely to be observed at arbitrarily great distances from the gravitational center.

In short: negative energy is just a matter of convenience to represent confinement. You can always redefine it to set some negative value to positive or zero.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Does it just mean that it is surrounded by a negative potential? I'm pretty lost on this concept overall. I have never dealt with negative potential energy before.

dont think that energy is negative
think like this
there is a pt A where the charge has potential energy of 10J
now when it is moved against an electric field u supply energy by doing work and move it to anothere pt B .U have supplied 5 J so now potential energy of the charge is 15J.
which means that work done =increase in potential energy

now consider ur case
if the charge is at A with 10J and u allow it to move in the direction of E field in this case in order for the charge to move it has to spend its energy so it moves to a pt C such that it has used up all its 10J.but it still continues to move by using some internal energy and now energy decrease and becomes less that 0 and finally the charge settles at a pt D.here u find that energy is -5J.
the meaning of -5J is that it has a deficit of 5J and has to make up its deficit in order to be in the base level ( 0 J)
An analogy for this is that in order for a student to get promoted he has to score min (base level) of 30/100.if he scores 25 he has to make up his deficit of 5 marks to be in the base level

i.e base level is 0 J it has to make up its deficit and somehow has to attain the base level.
THerefore from nowonwards the -ve sign in energy indicates deficit i.e it is below base level and has to make up its deficit. Hope u understood

wat about negative Ke, i don't think its possible to have it, at least that's what my textbook said in a problem

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy that an electrically charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is a form of potential energy, meaning that it has the potential to do work or cause an effect when released.

2. What is the difference between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in an electric field, whereas electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

3. How is negative electric potential energy different from positive electric potential energy?

In terms of magnitude, negative electric potential energy means that the object has less energy compared to a reference point, while positive electric potential energy means that the object has more energy. In terms of charge, negative electric potential energy is associated with negatively charged objects, while positive electric potential energy is associated with positively charged objects.

4. Can negative electric potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, negative electric potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object is released from its position in the electric field. This is because the object will experience a force due to the electric field and will accelerate, converting its potential energy into kinetic energy.

5. How is negative electric potential energy used in everyday life?

Negative electric potential energy is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, which store electrical energy in the form of negative and positive charges separated by a potential difference. It is also used in power plants, where negative electric potential energy from sources such as water or wind is converted into electrical energy to power homes and businesses.